Magnifier Visual Aids

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
PeteScR

Magnifier Visual Aids

Postby PeteScR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:11 pm

I have had to admit that the old "minces" aren't what they used to be and as a wearer of varifocals, my neck is getting painful doing close up work.
I would like to invest in a good quality set of magnifiers that can either be worn on my head or fit to the specs, (not the desktop type)
I have tried the cheap plastic versions from Squires and they are OK but not what I am after.

Does anyone use or can recommend a good quality aid for vision?
Pete

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Magnifier Visual Aids

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:48 pm

PeteScR wrote:I have had to admit that the old "minces" aren't what they used to be and as a wearer of varifocals, my neck is getting painful doing close up work.
I would like to invest in a good quality set of magnifiers that can either be worn on my head or fit to the specs, (not the desktop type)
I have tried the cheap plastic versions from Squires and they are OK but not what I am after.

Does anyone use or can recommend a good quality aid for vision?
Pete

Hi Pete,

We recently had a good discussion of the various options over here: http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4502

You'll find most things discussed, but ultimate it is down to personal preference of what you get on with, so if possible do try a few. That's what I did at Misssenden and helped me choose an Optivisor.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

PeteScR

Postby PeteScR » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks, strangely searching Magnifier brought up nothing, but some interesting debate seems to have already taken place.

Pete

FCA

Postby FCA » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:24 am

Having followed the earlier debate I bought the Rolson headband type and have been very impressed. For the price they're amazingly good value.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-2-led- ... isor-n70fk

Richard

jasp

Postby jasp » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:19 am

yes god value bit a bit on the heavy side
Jim P

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:27 am

jasp wrote:yes god value bit a bit on the heavy side
Jim P

Only if you bother putting the batteries in. Leave them out and use a proper light.

regards

Alan

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:03 pm

jasp wrote:yes god value bit a bit on the heavy side
Jim P

Is it? I don't think it's any heavier than a traditional Optivisor even with batteries (two AAA) in place, because the plastic lenses are a fair bit lighter than glass. Personally I find it comfortable when I've got it on I'm not concious of the weighty even with batteries.

My predictive text wanted baptisteries for batteries, that would have been haevy.

derekrussan

Postby derekrussan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Have you looked at these, very light, fit like glasses but work well even if you are wearing glasseImages.

OPMAGGL £12.00 at Eileens Emporium.

Trade interest declared.
Derek Russan, Eileens Emporium.

Return to “Tools and Techniques”