Desk Top Magnifier and Light (LED)

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
John Bateson

Desk Top Magnifier and Light (LED)

Postby John Bateson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Over the past 3 weeks I have had a couple of excursions into buying a replacement for an old desktop light.

First try was from Amazon - £61 for a PureLight 3 in one lamp, could stand on the floor or be clamped somewhere, lots of very positive reviews. Had to send it back on safety grounds, the main switch was leaky, I could switch it off and the light would come back dimly. It was all right when switched off at the wall though. All credit to Amazon - they refunded very quickly.

Second try was from Coopers of Stortford. The lamp looked good, but the 3-pin plug would not go in any socket in the house (all right I didn't check every single one).
The 3 pin plug does not conform to BS1363. The earth pin is too wide at 4.6 mm, it must be between 3.90 and 4.05 mm. I am reluctant to file it down - its a safety thing again!
So this also will be on its way very shortly.

So, any recommendations from this esteemed group would be welcome.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Tim V

Re: Desk Top Magnifier and Light (LED)

Postby Tim V » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 pm

I bought standard LED bulbs that fitted standard SBC holders. 6000k, so good colour.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Recently I've switched from a light-and-magnifier combination on a desk mount to a headband magnifier and separate light. This works much better for me, and gives a wider choice of lamps.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:07 pm

I got one last year similar to this, very happy with it. Mind you the model has changed and its about £15 more than the one I got.
Or if you don't want the magnifier there are a number here, I would definately go for LEDs, avoids any heat problems.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:17 am

I recently bought a Daylight 32500 Triple Bright Fluorescent Lamp http://www.daylight-lamps.co.uk/lamps-daylight/daylight-desk-table-lamps/daylight-triple-bright-fluorescent-lamp-d32500. Daylight's own website is currently offering them at £124.99 but I was able to buy one from Sewandsew for £79.20.

I had been thinking in terms of getting a replacement for my magnifying lamp, the plastic in which is crumbling to dust due to the heat radiated from its incandescent bulb. However, what seemed like exhaustive research didn't reveal a lamp/magnifier combination with which I was entirely happy. Whilst watching a TV programme on a firm of jewellers (Boodle's?), I noticed that their workshop was equipped with Daylight 32500's or something very similar. This led me to conclude that the reason I was dissatisfied with the lamp/magnifier combinations I had seen was that they represented a compromise: they were neither the best magnifier available nor the best source of illumination for my worktop. So I decided to forego the magnification capability and concentrate on getting the best lighting I could. Daylight brand lamps seem to be a high quality product and I am more than pleased with the choice I made.

When placing my order with Sewandsew I took the opportunity to pick up a cheap and cheerful clip-on LED lamp with flexible stem (http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/XtraFlex-Craft-Light---Silver__MTB-60432.aspx). Although this could do with being a bit brighter, I've clipped it onto my Unimat's motor mounting plate found it invaluable to be able to manouevre the light into very close proximity to the attachment holding the piece I'm working on.

Postby 4307 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm

A suggestion I have not yet tried:

From IKEA, a FOTO Pendant lamp, aluminium (001.258.11), £12, fitted to the ceiling with up to 1.6m drop, ES fitting
and from Homebase, TCP CFL Spiral Daylight Bulb 23w ES - 1 Pack (550183), £6.99

Two of those over a workbench giving the equivalent of 210W of lighting at 6500K. I use a headband magnifier.

Dave Harvey

Return to “Tools and Techniques”