Need a new soldering iron

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Need a new soldering iron

Postby John McAleely » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Tim V wrote:There are two terminals on the left, and it looks like (to me) the second one from the left (that is broken off) is the one to use.

This is what troubled me, however the loose cable seems to be shielding a crimp plug (?) which slots neatly onto the tab on the first terminal, so I settled on that. Given both Flymo and Terry's comments (and the fact the iron seems to work), I shall stick on that for now.

Tim V wrote:That transformer doesn't look second user to me, they all look like that on the terminals.

Interesting - perhaps it was for testing the 110v winding as Flymo suggested. the 110 marking certainly makes sense from his and Terry's explanations.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Need a new soldering iron

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am

John McAleely wrote: however the loose cable seems to be shielding a crimp plug

I had assumed that the mains leads were soldered on, but John's explanation of a slide on crimp fitting would explain what looks like a lack of solder on the 0 volt terminal. If it was the other lead that had come off, and it had touched any metal part, firstly the metal would become "live" and therefore the potential to give an electric shock, and then probably would have blown the fuse. If it is still a bit loose then a gentle squeeze with a pair of pliers would be useful.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Tools and Techniques”