Fixing wheels and pinions to shafting.

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Philip Hall

Re: Fixing wheels and pinions to shafting.

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:08 pm

I would imagine that 243 is of the same family as 242 Nutlock which name speaks for itself. 601/603, however, are 'retainers' which is what we need for fixing pinions and possibly wheels. My bottle of 242 stopped working, having got very thick, and I'm now using 278 Threadlocker for no reason other than it came as a free sample from Henkel when I registered for something years ago. I only use it to retain crankpin nuts and the like, so I hope it's not too strong! A friend of mine uses black nail polish to retain his nuts (!) and that also works quite well.

If wheels need permanent fixing, then my preference is pinning a la Tim V and others.

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Black nail polish - one has to wonder where that idea comes from, and yet.....

Black nail polish presumably cellulose based would probably do the trick - and can be removed easily with celulose thinners, but don't let it get on the plastic wheels.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am

Revival of this tread re loctite, nail varnish etc causes me to add a footnote to my comments before Christmas re pinning wheels to axles a la Venton.

I found a small length of rare 1/8" ground MS and had enough for the 3 axles on current project.
Drilling into this with .5mm drills was still hopeless, attrition rate was as bad as with silver steel.
I bought 10x .5mm drills from each of 3 suppliers in the hope that some maker produced drills which would cope with the 45degree breakout at end of axle drilling...nope!

In danger of running out of the MS material I abandoned .5mm pinning ( one successful axle and many bust drills, cusses and wasted material) and went .7mm. (Thought about trying .6 but no wire available for pins)

A single .7mm drill from one of those chinese packs of cheap .3 to 1.6mm did the bizz....2 axles made and drilled trouble free.
Chassis now set up, all quartered, pinned and running in...very smooth on my rolling road.
My only reliance on my 30 year old Loctite 601 is now for ungrubbed gearwheels and crankpin nuts....anyone tried pinning gears to axles?

When a supply of spare .7mm drills is to hand I will try again drilling 45degrees in silver steel as that is so readily available.
Then will try .6mm if I can find some wire, or turn some down...

An aside issue is raised in a separate thread re wheel wobble....

Return to “Tools and Techniques”