GW Models wheel press

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
the fatadder

GW Models wheel press

Postby the fatadder » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:59 am

Very quick question,
Yesterday at scaleforum after countless recomendations I finally purchased a GW Models wheel press. Spured on by the post show increace in modelling motivation I have cracked on with trying to convert my Bachmann 45xx with Gibson wheels.

After successfully fitting the pony truck wheels, Ive now moved onto the drivers. However they are using 3mm axles and as such wont fit on the 1/8th and are too big for the 2mm attachments. How am I supposed to use the tool to fit these wheels?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: GW Models wheel press

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm

the fatadder wrote:Very quick question,
Yesterday at scaleforum after countless recomendations I finally purchased a GW Models wheel press. Spured on by the post show increace in modelling motivation I have cracked on with trying to convert my Bachmann 45xx with Gibson wheels.

After successfully fitting the pony truck wheels, Ive now moved onto the drivers. However they are using 3mm axles and as such wont fit on the 1/8th and are too big for the 2mm attachments. How am I supposed to use the tool to fit these wheels?

I don't know the answer, but I can pop downstairs and ask at the GW Models stand :-)

Back soon...
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks
Did you have any luck?

Roger Howden

Postby Roger Howden » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 pm

I think you will find that George Watts produced a special set of pins for 3mm axles. I bought some last year.

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Ahh wish i had asked at the time!
Will have a go at turning down a spare oo 1/8 axle into a couple of 3 mm pins

Another question on use, I've tried using the 2mm pins to fit a 2mm Gibson set
The pins don't fit in the wheels hole, is this usual?

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:13 pm

What does your vernier say about pin diameter?

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 am

If you're using the jig to fit a Hornby T9 driving wheel then it will be impossibly tight, as the Gibson wheel has a much smaller than 2mm hole to give a tight fit on the axle. So you'll have to reduce the size of the end of the pin.

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I thought the GW wheel press was for quartering drivers, not for putting on carrying wheels?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Tim V wrote:I thought the GW wheel press was for quartering drivers, not for putting on carrying wheels?

The T9 and some others do have 2mm axle driving wheels..

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 pm

craig_whilding wrote:
Tim V wrote:I thought the GW wheel press was for quartering drivers, not for putting on carrying wheels?

The T9 and some others do have 2mm axle driving wheels..

Also, if you mount the wheels on the pegs, etc as though you were using it for quartering, you can use the wheelpress to ensure that they go on square, with a back-to-back gauge trapped safely in between as you squeeze them together.

Anything that helps me get a model assembled squarely is a boon in my book!

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:27 pm

the fatadder wrote:Thanks
Did you have any luck?

I did. I popped down and had a good chat with George Watts about it. Apologies for the delayed response, everything else at the show, and then that demon work thing got in the way between then and now...

You won't (as you have now found out) be able to use the standard pins with these axles.

George says that he can supply a set of replacement pins for the press. These will have a 3mm end and a 2.5mm end.

They cost a fiver, so if you drop him a letter (advert is in the MRJ most issues with contact details) explaining what you want, and enclosing a crisp five five pound note, or a cheque for the same, then he'll send a set back. Lead time shouldn't be more than a few days, and there is no additional postage.

Or if you have the skills (which is much, much more than I do) you can turn your own :-)

HTH
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks all,

For the sake of a fiver I will get in touch with GW models and order a set of pins, much easier than trying to make them!

The 2mm wheels I was trying to fit were for the pony trucks of a 45xx, as Paul mentions the intention for using it in this way is to ensure that the wheels go on squarely. An issue I have always had with the Gibson product.

Return to “Tools and Techniques”