Eileen's open day

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Tim V

Eileen's open day

Postby Tim V » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 pm

A reminder that Eileen's Emporium open day is this weekend, the Bristol group are going in force. Hopefully see some more of you there.

10:00 - 16:00 25th June. Free BBQ from 12:00 - 15:00

Briefly (from the leaflet), there is 10% discount on purchases on the day.

Details are on the website http://www.eileensemporium.com

Derek would like you to contact him with details of numbers coming on 01531 828009

If the weather holds, we may be going on to see the work on restoring the Hereford and Gloucester Canal, which is being reclaimed from the Gloucester Ledbury Railway http://www.h-g-canal.org.uk/
and the station at Newent which has been excavated in preparation for rebuilding as a canal!
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d5423bd1 ... -newent/en
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Re: Eileen's open day

Postby Tim V » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Well the weather was good, sitting outside in the sunshine with a burger in the hand and a boxful of goodies felt very good.

The weather held for a visit to the canal, but as this is a railway forum I won't sully it by posting pictures of the canal.
Tim V

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:30 pm

You left out that we also went for a nose around Lydney docks, and called in the Severn Bore pub on the way home.

Gordon A

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

Lydney Docks
Gordon and Tim

My wife and i were also 'nosing' there a few weeks ago and the displays mounted around the site were most illuminating.

I thought it could make a tremendous model (during the coal loading stage days of course). One would have to model facing landwards, the Severn is a bit big there!!.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I was born on the banks of the Severn (although a bit up stream from there.) I wonder if the Severn Bore pub was named after me?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Funnily enough, the canal, though closed in 1880, looked pretty similar to how it used to look.

I had great difficulty visualising what the docks used to look like, closed in 1960. It's a yacht marina now. OK the pictures on the information boards helped a bit, but because of tree growth I had great difficulty remembering what I saw there from my last visit in the 70s/80s when the remains of the coal tips were still there.
Tim V

Return to “Tools and Techniques”