Proposed Group

Amck

Proposed Group

Postby Amck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:37 am

Proposed group, South Somerset, Devon and Dorset border. Lets meet and see where we go.

I am pleased to say there has been enough support to hold the inaugural meeting in Chard, Somerset, on 8th April at 7.00pm. Any persons wishing to come along will be most welcome.
Last edited by Amck on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Cameron

Re: Proposed Group

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 am

Good idea Andy, but you might want to extend your canvassing to the 2/3rds of the membership who aren't on here (assuming you aren't doing that already).

Danny Cockling will be able to help you with postcode-specific member lists so you can do that. If you want any other help on setting up the group let me know (send me a PM and we can arrange to talk on the phone) and once you are up and running I'm sure we in DRAG would be pleased to do exchange visits with you.

Good luck :)
Rod

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Good idea Andy, but you might want to extend your canvassing to the 2/3rds of the membership who aren't on here (assuming you aren't doing that already).

Danny Cockling will be able to help you with postcode-specific member lists so you can do that. If you want any other help on setting up the group let me know (send me a PM and we can arrange to talk on the phone) and once you are up and running I'm sure we in DRAG would be pleased to do exchange visits with you.

Good luck :)

Hi Andy,

Indeed I will. I will contact you off list, but well done for making the proposal and thanks Rod for the offer of support.

All the Best
Danny

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Amck wrote:Proposed group, South Somerset, Devon and Dorset border. Lets meet and see where we go.

Any particular location for meeting in mind? I'm sidmouth based and DRAG is my nearest group (although I've sadly not been able to make it down yet).

Regards

Matt

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Matt,

You are well and truly in the middle; using Google maps I make it 26 miles (by road) from your place to Rod's and 21 miles to Andy's. Obviously it will depend on where the proposed new group meets as well as your individual circumstances, but once a group becomes established and friendships are made people will often travel considerable distances. In the Glevum AG for example, at worst it can be over 40 miles each way for some members, but meetings are held in different places and there is a degree of car sharing so the distances change.

Doing a quick search it looks as though most members within a 25km radial distance from you are in the DRAG area and have Teignmouth and Exeter addresses, although closest isn't always easiest to get to. Unfortunately we don't have any members at all in EX11 Ottery St Mary, EX12 Seaton, EX13 Axminster & Colyton, EX14 Honiton or DT7 Lyme Regis, which is all of the geographical area between you and Andy.

All the Best
Danny

Amck

Postby Amck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

ClikC wrote:
Amck wrote:Proposed group, South Somerset, Devon and Dorset border. Lets meet and see where we go.

Hi Matt,
I'm Chard based, on the triangular borders of the three counties, so I thought perhaps the first meeting here if enough interest is shown. After which the venue could be altered to suit.

Any particular location for meeting in mind? I'm sidmouth based and DRAG is my nearest group (although I've sadly not been able to make it down yet).

Regards

Matt

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Rod Cameron wrote: and once you are up and running I'm sure we in DRAG would be pleased to do exchange visits with you.

Yeah sounds like a cracking idea, perhaps we could hire the hall for a saturday and see if we could get TT2 there with some P4 layouts with lunch in the pub?

Regards,

Nick

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks Danny, I figured I was smack bang in the middle. Dates and times are normally the killer for me as I work evenings during weekdays. Even trips to Exeter MRS of which I'm a member are few and far between. Doesn't help with my lack of personal transport, although I hope to fix that soon.

Andy, I'd be interested to come along. Not sure what Public transport is like in and out of Chard, but it's not far from Axeminster which suits me.

Regards

Matt

Amck

Postby Amck » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I am pleased to say there has been enough support to hold the inaugural meeting in Chard, Somerset, on 8th April at 7.00pm. Any persons wishing to come along will be most welcome.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am

Good luick with this Andy, hope it goes well :)
Rod

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Good luick with this Andy, hope it goes well :)

Could DRAG members attend for support! ;)

Regards,

Nick

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

It's reachable from Bristol, but at this rate, there won't be any room for the local members :!:
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

Amck

Postby Amck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Brinkly wrote:
Rod Cameron wrote:Good luick with this Andy, hope it goes well :)

Could DRAG members attend for support! ;)

Regards,

Nick

Of course they can, any other group member will be most welcome.
I will give you my address by PM.

Amck

Postby Amck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Tim V wrote:It's reachable from Bristol, but at this rate, there won't be any room for the local members :!:

Of course they can, any other Scalefour member member will be most welcome.
I will give you my address by PM.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Tim V wrote:It's reachable from Bristol, but at this rate, there won't be any room for the local members :!:

Well I did live in Trowbridge for 18 months Tim and might well be returning soon, so would like to get to know the locals before I make a firm decision. ;)

Regards,

Nick

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Brinkly wrote:
Rod Cameron wrote: and once you are up and running I'm sure we in DRAG would be pleased to do exchange visits with you.

Yeah sounds like a cracking idea, perhaps we could hire the hall for a saturday and see if we could get TT2 there with some P4 layouts with lunch in the pub?

Regards,

Nick

Sounds like you're offering to organise a mini P4 show, Nick!
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Sounds like you're offering to organise a mini P4 show, Nick!

Well we'll see! ;) I'll have to get something started myself first.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Brinkly wrote:I'll have to get something started myself first.

We're all a-gog! ;)
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

deak

Postby deak » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:56 am

Hi guys,

I have recently moved into the area (Crewkerne) and would be interested in joining the proposed group if anyone thinks that it would be realistic to start one. I have contacted Andy who told me that there appeared to be very few people in the area keen to get something going. If one more would help, please let me know. I am just starting to get back into the hobby after fifty years away modelling radio-controlled aeroplanes. A scratch-built TT layout was my last effort, but that was a long time ago!

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

I live in Yeovil which is in the catchment area for this proposed group and would join in if it now takes off.

John Lewis

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:00 pm

So what's stopping the two of you starting it?
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Tim V wrote:So what's stopping the two of you starting it?

Somewhere to meet for starters ;)

My house isn't suitable as our road (A30) is double yellow lined both sides and there is nowhere nearby to park.

John

deak

Postby deak » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 am

I live in a flat in Crewkerne and parking would be a big problem here, also. Originally, Andy proposed that we meet in Chard at the Chard club's place. I am a new member there and this might be a possibility. Parking is no problem. Anyone else interested?

John Deacon.

Return to “South Somerset”