Track building day

David Bigcheeseplant

Track building day

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:32 am

The Risborough and District MRC are building a model of Aylesbury in P4, we have decided to start afresh on baseboards and turn the end to end version into a roundly roundly.

We need a lot more trackwork so ran a point turnout building course for members to build a copper clad turnout for the fiddle yard, we thought we had eight students book but twelve turned up and spent a structured day of all of filing soldering etc.

The interesting thing was that ten of the members who where building these P4 turnouts are not P4 modellers or Scalefourum society members, but want to get involved with the project. I think the hands on approach maybe the way to go. Who knows they may join.

David

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Track building day

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:The Risborough and District MRC are building a model of Aylesbury in P4, we have decided to start afresh on baseboards and turn the end to end version into a roundly roundly.

We need a lot more trackwork so ran a point turnout building course for members to build a copper clad turnout for the fiddle yard, we thought we had eight students book but twelve turned up and spent a structured day of all of filing soldering etc.

The interesting thing was that ten of the members who where building these P4 turnouts are not P4 modellers or Scalefourum society members, but want to get involved with the project. I think the hands on approach maybe the way to go. Who knows they may join.

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing that. It's great to hear that there was such interest in P4 modelling. It's been clear from the models that your club has shown at Railex and Scaleforum that you have some very talented modellers there.

I hope that your efforts bear fruit, and the idea of "hands-on" involvement is definitely something that we would like to be able to do more of. Quite how, without the kernel of a project like yours, is more of a difficulty, but I'm sure that good ideas will come along.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:56 am

We had our local show on Saturday I was doing a track building demo, quite a few visitors were interested. I got the "it looks hard or complicated" so popped the part over to the other side of the table and got a couple of people to file and solder up vees. The results were very good, and I do think that the hands on have a go really is the way forward on demos.

I think it goes to show if people do something themselves they are more likely to get the bug and do some serious modelling. Much better than a head down optivisor look.

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 pm

David, I very much agree. So many of the modelling tasks we take for granted can seem daunting until you actually have a go. Building an etched kit can look frightening but if it is properly designed it is often a matter of simple tasks carefully done. Trackwork is the same.

We are having some 'hands on' tuition at 101 Not Out on 12th March. http://www.scalefour.org/forty/ Sorry to hijack your thread but the opportunity for a plug seemed too good to miss!

Philip

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:05 pm

At our first club night since the course saw a number of people building their second third or even fifth point we have now got around 20-25 turnouts built in around ten days.

I am not too sure of the actual number of Scalefour members in our club, maybe around ten with another five or so getting actively involved with the Aylesbury P4 project. I just wonder if the Risborough club is now the biggest area group of the Scalefour Society.

David

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I am not too sure of the actual number of Scalefour members in our club, maybe around ten with another five or so getting actively involved with the Aylesbury P4 project. I just wonder if the Risborough club is now the biggest area group of the Scalefour Society.

David

Nottingham AG have 32 members with 12 to 18 regular attendees at weekly meetings.
R
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 am

That's pretty impressive Rob, for some reason I thought most AG were quite small.

David

Return to “Risboro' and District”