New Member rgmichel CT USA

Moderator: David Knight

rgmichel

New Member rgmichel CT USA

Postby rgmichel » Tue May 07, 2013 7:38 pm

I am a Yorkshire ex-pat living in CT USA, and I just introduced myself in the lounge but, but as it seems that there is no USA group, I felt I should introduce myself to the Canadian group. I can see that the nearest concentration of P4 people seems to be in the Ontario area, which is somewhat over 12-14 hrs drive from me I believe. However, it would be nice to know which sources of UK specific modelling necessities are within reasonable mailing distance of CT USA. Also, I am interested to know if there are indeed ANY P4 modellers in the northeast USA. I should be quick to note that I am only just staring out in P4, so anything I am reading now on this site is of intense interest to me.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

nberrington

Re: New Member rgmichel CT USA

Postby nberrington » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Hello Bob!

There is a small cluster of UK outline modellers in Ontario. (Platelayers Society) Nice chaps on the whole, despite their hockey team. You will find quite a few OO people around here and there.

I am out on the prairies (further from them than you), but they put on a smashing show every other year (the Great British Train Show) in Brampton(near Toronto). Dave Knight and Mark Stapleton have a pair of P4 layouts they exhibit. I'm hoping to join them again next year with a module of my own. Wouldn't it be something if we had 4 layouts there!?. Both Dave and Mark are active on this forum - Dave something of a lathe guru in my eyes, and Mark likes the S&D. Both instantly likeable.

No worries though, distances are less of an issue nowadays, as it is fairly easy to order most things from the UK online, and the suppliers on the forum website are universally excellent. You will have no issue shipping bits from the UK. You may feel lonely with real finescale modelling over here, I see a lot of spectacular course scale North American outline stuff - they frown whimsically at me. Keep the faith - welcome to the gang.

Of course you have to build a 3F now - a right of passage - , in spite of being a fan of God's Wonderful.

Neil B
Winnipeg - home of the Jets, sadly not in the NHL playoffs (again) - but hoping Boston now kicks some Toronto butt

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the group. Neil has already pointed out the main highlights of the area. There are some British outline modellers in the Montreal and Ottawa area including some P4 content in Ottawa. The British Railway Modellers of North America have a monthly newsletter http://www.brmna.org/index.html as do the Platelayers http://www.theplatelayers.org/default.htm for general companionship and both sites have links to dealers who can get you some bits and pieces for your modelling but as Neil says the real specialty items need to come from the UK. Happily that is easier now than ever before thanks to the internet. Feel free to contact any of us via PM on this forum or using the directory for e-mail addresses and join in the fun!

Are you modelling any particular area or period or still in the search mode?

Cheers,

David

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you for the welcome, David and Neil. I am most grateful. I plan to model almost anything in the 1960s from the Sheffield/Doncaster/Chesterfield area. It will most certainly be generic, rather than particular, although that may come with time. I have an interest in any of the pre- nationalization GWR too, which probably means that there will be visitors to the mentioned area! If I do settle on something, it will likely involve Sheffield in some way. My main interest is in constructing P4 standard locomotives, which means I will build some track, including some points and a full circuit, then try my hand at converting one of my OO locomotives to P4 and see how it goes. Sounds like an 0-6-0 is the way to go first, although my ambition lies with an A4 or an A2 as the easichas kits seem available.

I am interested in photography of my models too, which means making the track, rolling stock and scenery look right, so that photographs look realistic. I am also interested in digital sound too. I am not very keen on the onboard sound, so I am thinking of looking into the Soundtraxx system. I would like to achieve the bass notes of a steam engine, more than those little speakers give us in the tender of models.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Bob,

There are (including yourself) presently 22 members resident in the USA as well as 16 in Canada. By US State: 2 in California, 2 in Connecticut, 1 in Florida, 1 in Georgia, 1 in Illinois, 2 in Maryland, 1 in Michigan, 1 in Nevada, 3 in New Jersey, 2 in New York, 2 in Oregon, 1 in Utah, 1 in Vermont, and 2 in Washington.

A list will be included with your New Member pack and I'll include the Canada list too.

All the Best
Danny

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Wonderful. At least one other in CT. This is good news. Thanks! I look forward to seeing the membership packet.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Wed May 08, 2013 2:31 pm

nberrington wrote:Winnipeg - home of the Jets, sadly not in the NHL playoffs (again) - but hoping Boston now kicks some Toronto butt

Wininipeg - home of the Atlanta Thrashers :P I don't know anything about UK modeling in NE USA but as a lifelong Leafs fan (I am even old enough to remember when they won the cup) I wasn't letting that one pass. Go Leafs Go! Kadri, Lupul, JVR and Gardner to score tonight, 4-2 Toronto.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Natalie Graham wore: I don't know anything about UK modeling in NE USA but as a lifelong Leafs fan (I am even old enough to remember when they won the cup) I wasn't letting that one pass. Go Leafs Go! Kadri, Lupul, JVR and Gardner to score tonight, 4-2 Toronto.

I grew up in Montreal, therefore I'm a Habs fan, but for this series, I'm supporting the Leafs, since I really, really don't like the Bruins (of Boston, which is in the NE USA...)

I am finding it quite unusual to have a hockey discussion on S4um, however, the NE USA had some spectacular railroads, such as the Maine narrow gauge stuff, the Narrow gauge museum in Portland was quite interesting...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 pm

To clarify for our UK friends.... Hockey is to Canadians what football is over there or rugby in SA.

This is difficult time some of us, between watching grown men half kill each other on an ice rink and doing something productive. With 4 games tonight the 3F tender waits another few days.....

Sorry for the diversion........

(Atlanta Thrashers.... Hurumph!)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 pm

rgmichel wrote:My main interest is in constructing P4 standard locomotives, which means I will build some track, including some points and a full circuit, then try my hand at converting one of my OO locomotives to P4 and see how it goes. Sounds like an 0-6-0 is the way to go first, although my ambition lies with an A4 or an A2 as the easichas kits seem available.

Hi Bob,

First of all, welcome to the Scalefour Society. I'm confident that you'll find a warm welcome here, and helpful answers to many questions. You've probably already found our "Starting in P4" section of the Forum.

I picked up on your specific comment above about your locomotive building plans. They very much echo the progress of my friend and fellow member of the CHEAG Area Group, John McAleely. As a newcomer to P4 a couple of years ago, you can find the story of his first attempt at an 0-6-0 chassis here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1333

And subsequently moving on to a Pacific type here:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1942

All the very best with your modelling, and please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Malc in Brum

Postby Malc in Brum » Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am

Edward Beal in his pre WW11 books on model railways refers to an American standard for 00 scale, 1/76 and 19mm gauge. How many models were actually built is open to speculation.

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

My impression from looking at ebay is that there was an American OO scale around 1938 with quite high value put on these models. American OO is on 19 mm track, not the hybrid OO/HO common in the UK. This is documented in a blog at: http://americanoo.blogspot.com/2008/04/lionel-oo.html There are some links in that blog with more information about US OO , which seems to have been quite extensive from various manufacturers. As far as I know, there is no real commercial US outline OO scale these days. In Alen Levy's book "A century of model trains (New Cavendish Books, London, 2nd edn 1975) page 132, there is a picture of "Lionel's only contribution in OO for 19 mm gauge" An "excellent Hudson in electric, which came either as a passenger or as a fright set when first released in 1938. These trains were not revived after the second world war". On the same page of that book is illustrated a OO scale 2-rail Hudson built with brass castings by Scalecraft dating from 1935.
Malc in Brum wrote:Edward Beal in his pre WW11 books on model railways refers to an American standard for 00 scale, 1/76 and 19mm gauge. How many models were actually built is open to speculation.
Last edited by rgmichel on Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I am very encouraged. I know we are not supposed to post thank you messages, but I did want to express my thoughts, as this welcome is certainly an encouragement for me to continue with considerable enthusiasm.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 pm

rgmichel wrote:I know we are not supposed to post thank you messages

Bob,
Who said ?.........everyone likes a thank you now and again.......... :thumb
R

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 am

Coming back to you on your post on RMweb about whether you have used the Easichas system.

Personally I have not, but I did watch someone put the A3 together very speedily over the last Missenden weekend. It does look to work well as long as you follow the instructions with care.

What I would suggest for a beginner though is to keep away for valve gear and to a lesser extent bogies. Get going on a simple 0-6-0 or something similar. Also, keep to the very modern etched chassis - Brassmasters, Comet, Mousa Models, most of the London Road Models range (there are others I appreciate but these are good places to start).

The reason for this as the kits from this era are all designed and executed on CAD, so all of the key dimensions can be made exactly the same. Doing this means that as long as you do not get the file out too vigerously the wheelbase will match the coupling rods; which is the key to a smooth running chassis.

The other key thing to buy is a wheelpress. It is possible to put wheels on square using a vice with a bit of care (or a lathe) it is much easier with the wheel press (I and I think most use the GW Models one but I am not sure he does mail order).
Mark Tatlow

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for this information above, and thank you for keeping track of my wanderings. I just asked the easichas question of another member who is corresponding with me, and your comments are very insightful. I was just beginning to appreciate the need for accuracy in the chassis conversion - theoretically of course, just at the thinking stage right now. Your insight is very clear to me. Thanks for that! It is for sure that I will be going with an 0-6-0 first. I just bought an (un)-used Bachmann Jinty, and I might start with that. Its the 32-225W in LMS crimson, and was a special edition for a model shop. Thanks for the tip on the wheel press. I am also going to need some gauges for tracks too.

I hope you don't mind, but my enthusiasm leads me to say that it has been the best experience I can imagine after joining this society, and I have only been here a few days. I am very appreciative of not only the friendliness, but just as important - the sheer technical competence and experience of those who are answering my naive posts. The lack of any sort of hubris on here is very refreshing for a newbie like me.

Mark Tatlow wrote:Coming back to you on your post on RMweb about whether you have used the Easichas system.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sat May 18, 2013 2:37 pm

If you are going to do the jinty, then I would suggest that the Mousa Models or Comet chassis are very good (http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/frames ... ames4.html or http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/).

Actually, the Bachmann jinty has a sprung central axle and is one of the steam locos that converts to P4 quite easily without needing a replacement chassis. Mike Ainsworth did a very go blow by blow article on the conversion in the Feb 2010 Scalefour News (issue 166 - s4-news.php).
Mark Tatlow

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 pm

In addition to the Mousa models and Comet chassis, High Level also do one for the Jinty. The Mousa version is sprung with CSBs, High Level is equalised, the Comet I am not sure, they are gradually upgrading the range to allow springing with individual sprung axleboxes.
But I would echo Mark's view, the Bachmann Jinty converts very well using an Alan Gibson conversion wheelset and runs well, the only thing I would add to Mike Ainsworths conversion is to use lead sheet packing strips between wheels and the original chassis to give it more weight.
Mine can be seen on banking duty here.

Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat May 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Great stuff Keith.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Here are a couple of pics showing the application of lead to the chassis and one of the wheelset ready to install.
Keith
chassis-1.jpg

chassis-3.jpg

wheels-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:The other key thing to buy is a wheelpress. It is possible to put wheels on square using a vice with a bit of care (or a lathe) it is much easier with the wheel press (I and I think most use the GW Models one but I am not sure he does mail order).

Mark makes a good point about wheel presses.

i did have a word with George Watts earlier today at ExpoEM about mail order. He is happy to do it, and gave me a sheet of details. I'll have to post thsi separately, and I'll pop it in the Products section. Unfortunately this is only to UK addresses.

However if any of our overseas members are interested in George's kit (I have the wheel press, rolling bars and rivet punch, so you can tell that I like it) then I'm sure that some sort of postal relay arrangement could be made.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, I noticed, when my jinty arrived, that it has sprung center flanged wheels with the outer wheels fixed. I can see this was done rather than putting unflanged wheels in the middle. The article in issue 166 looks good. I will try that. Thanks!!
Mark Tatlow wrote:IActually, the Bachmann jinty has a sprung central axle and is one of the steam locos that converts to P4 quite easily without needing a replacement chassis. Mike Ainsworth did a very go blow by blow article on the conversion in the Feb 2010 Scalefour News (issue 166 - s4-news.php).
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

rgmichel

Postby rgmichel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I would luv to obtain the wheel press, etc. Is it heavy for mailing?
Flymo748 wrote:However if any of our overseas members are interested in George's kit (I have the wheel press, rolling bars and rivet punch, so you can tell that I like it) then I'm sure that some sort of postal relay arrangement could be made.
Robert,
Ashford Lake, CT, USA

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 pm

The wheel press weighs 153 grams. That would cost £4.70 airmail to the USA, plus any handling or packing charges.

DT

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:53 pm

rgmichel wrote:I would luv to obtain the wheel press, etc. Is it heavy for mailing?
Flymo748 wrote:However if any of our overseas members are interested in George's kit (I have the wheel press, rolling bars and rivet punch, so you can tell that I like it) then I'm sure that some sort of postal relay arrangement could be made.

Is this a general sign that I should be getting a list together to submit an order to George?

DougN mentioned that he would like some rolling bars. He was also going to ask the other Aussie modellers if they had any requests from GW Models.

Anyone else? I can give it a couple of weeks and then do something if people would like that.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Canadian Group”