CRAG MEETING - 8 NOV 2022

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG MEETING - 8 NOV 2022

Postby SteamAle » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:40 pm

Well I finally managed to get to another CRAG meeting. It was again at Stephen's house at Kirkby Stephen. The former Midland Railway station masters house.
Five members attended and the order of the day was to find the dead short on Stephen's new test track. He had wired it for DCC and with several points the search continued from the previous meeting. Being unseccessful Sturat and David had unsoldered every track feed from the bus bars. And still the short. Head scratching and then the penny dropped. All the copperclad sleepers had been checked and were fine, even the ones at the baseboard ends but, it was double sided copperclad and Stephen had not gapped the underside. The two brass screws holding them in place were causing the short! They were summarily removed as he had glued the sleeprs down and they were well and truly fixed in place. Stephen's homework is to solder all the track feeds back to the bus bars before he can try and see if everything works correctly.
The next meeting is on Tuesday 13th December. 12 noon at Woodrow Wilsons in Carlisle for a Christmas lunch. If you are intending to come please contact me either by e-mail or telephone 07719 035 650.
Philip

bécasse

Re: CRAG MEETING - 8 NOV 2022

Postby bécasse » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:35 am

A better, and quite simple, long term solution might be to replace the screws and cut right through the sleeper using a slitting disc. For "belts and braces" fill the resultant gap with epoxy resin as and when some is next mixed.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: CRAG MEETING - 8 NOV 2022

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:35 am

bécasse wrote:All the copperclad sleepers had been checked and were fine, even the ones at the baseboard ends but, it was double sided copperclad and Stephen had not gapped the underside.

I have had the same problem, although not with screws throug the sleepers. Easily done but also easy to correct.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”