CRAG MEETING - 14 JUNE 2022

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG MEETING - 14 JUNE 2022

Postby SteamAle » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 pm

The next Cragies meeting will be held at the former Midland Railway Station Masters house at Kirkby Stephen on Tuesday 14 June.
Meet from midday. Lunch will be provided by Stephen but please try and let him know if attending so that he can make enough for everybody.
Weather permitting, the layout will be erected to see how much of it is now working.
Last months meeting only saw two members make it so little was done.

I'm hoping to make this months meeting myself so work may progress further on the electrics.
There will also be a discussion about the small model railway exhibition that is due to be held at Kirkby Stephen East station on Sat 18 and 19 June. It is free entry with donations towards the ongoing costs of work on the station site. Unfortunately trains will not be running as the staff have not completed their safety critical reassessments, which are needed, by all those involved in running the trains. Covid 19 is still making itself felt!
Philip

Winander

Re: CRAG MEETING - 14 JUNE 2022

Postby Winander » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:24 pm

SteamAle wrote:two members make it so little was done

Damned cheek :)
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:31 pm

Well, Stephen only said that two attended, not what was or was not done! Was there progress?

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:56 pm

SteamAle wrote:Well, Stephen only said that two attended, not what was or was not done! Was there progress?

We erected the fiddle yard and waived one of the scenic exit boards at the ensemble. Our assessment was that the board joints needed work to a) repair and prevent the rail ends from further damage b) protective boards were required that could be arranged to fasten two together for storage/transport.

The reduction in the fiddle yard width so it fits in the (elegant) shed was discussed and I banged on (yet again) about the wisdom of creating six new boards for the shed and having to store six original boards for use if it was exhibited. I resolved to establish the minimum radius in the fiddle yard to see how that compares with the minimum on the layout with a view to tightening the curve on the first (couple?) of scenic boards so the original fiddle yard fits. Stephen is naturally reluctant to loose the generous radius, so it may be a non-starter. We don't actually know how much too big it is, so erecting it all will be very useful.

I took board 13 home to attach 12 that I have already been working on and it is proving 'problematic'. Also, when I assembled them at home without the benefit of the legs, the boards didn't align horizontally when bolted together, so that is something we need to check, but will need a level base to put it all on.

p.s. for those not familiar with our group, the shed was built before the layout was acquired.
Richard Hodgson

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:01 pm

I have posted some photos of Killiekrankie here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8160&p=91879#p91876 and hope to keep you up to date with progress.
Richard Hodgson

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”