CRAG Meeting 23 May 2019

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG Meeting 23 May 2019

Postby SteamAle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Well the best laid plans of men and mice conspired to make things difficult for us this month. Normally we meet on the second Thursday of the month and this is the fourth! Originally we were to meet up in the heights of Swaldale on our usual day but Ron's car was having power issues and was due into a garage for possible repairs, if the diagnosis was confirmed! Having put things back a week Stuart could not make it which meant Ian had no transport so we settled on the 23rd. Ron was then informed that his electricity supply was to be cut off for several days while essential work was carried out on the mains supply. His generator is not connected to his model railway room so we would not be able to run trains! The meeting was hastily rearranged to be held at my house in Carlisle.

As a sweetener, to try and persuade people to come, I arranged for some of the Shillcock/Pochin model collection, in the care of the Cumbrian Railways Association, to be made available for attendees to get very close and intimate with (well it does help being the chairman of said organisation!). The ploy worked as we had a good attendance. Most importantly we went to the Crown at Stanwix for some Real Ale and a bite to eat.

Since members previous visit I'd spent some time getting Haverthwaite to run, again! On the day it was not as good as I'd hoped but some trains were seen to move, progress at last!

Bob Hetherington was on cloud nine, being able to handle models that he had seen when they were new! He had met Ross Pochin on a number of occasions and admired his work immensly. The models were all built to 4mm scale 18mm gauge. The wheels are so fine they would probably run on S4 track. The tender locomotives use the 'American' pick-up system while others use split frames. Motors are mounted in the tender, with flywheels and a cardon shaft drive, allowing lots of weight on the driving wheels. Coppernob, a small 0-4-0 Furness locomotive has a real copper firebox. The workmanship has to be seen to be believed. Bob learnt an awful lot about scratchbuilding from Ross, as can be seen in his Stockton & Darlington stock as well as some stock on Burntisland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”