CRAG Meeting March 29 2018

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

Ian Everett

CRAG Meeting March 29 2018

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 pm

March's meeting was pretty well attended, albeit affected by the strike on Northern Rail and ill health. Nevertheless, Stu, David D., Mike Megginson, Phil, Sheila, Steve, Cherry, Ron, Patsy, Bessy (a dog) and I attended.

An excellent lunch was had at the Kings Arms (which was the Drovers Arms in BBC's version of James Heriot's books). Then, while Patsy and Cherry took dogs for walks, including Mill Gill Foss (=waterfall - well worth visiting if you are in the Askrigg area) the menfolk set about operating Bradford North Western to my adaptation of Bradford Exchange's 1958 timetable, block bells and all. I still have trouble keeping trains on the tracks, even though BNW and Clecklewyke are now OO gauge. Phil very helpfully identified some glaring problems which my rheumy eyes had missed, and which are now being rectified. But we had fun.

While all this was going on we admired some lovely models built by Mike Megginson - some NER gantry signals from the Hessle Haven area on Hull's main line to Doncaster, which Stu, Mike and I remembered well from our train-spotting days. We recalled how a "double peg" (i.e. both distant and starter off) meant either an express, maybe a B1 on a long string of Gresley Blood and Custards or a D49 on the "Yorkshire Pullman", or possibly a K3 on a fast fish train. He also brought some superb models of ex-NER locos which we would have seen in Hull in the early 1950s. He is well on the way to having samples of all such loco classes, including multiple examples of some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ian Everett on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Re: CRAG Meeting March 29 2018

Postby DougN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 am

But not all of those J72's are J72's....

The first is a J72, the second is a J77 with a Worsdell Cab (the springs above the splasher is a bit different) the third is a J71, the larger splashers are the give away... it is difficult to pick the change in wheel base and the larger wheels...

Then again here is the reason we are not seeing a heap of RTR NER based 0-6-0's they all have a serious family resemblance!

:D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

Aha,
you spotted my deliberate error. :D

Just testing whether anyone reads my drivel and trying to prove that Geordie Pugs are as similar as GW panniers.

Seriously, thanks, Doug for correcting my sloppy writing - as bad as the continuity on a Michael Portillo train documentary!

But J72 or not are they not beautifully made, painted and weathered? Mike M is a true class act. All they need is some tarpaulin to keep the rain out and a bike hanging from the smoke box door to get back to Dairycoates from Victoria Dock

Ian

P.S. My apologies - I should have credited Phil Tuer for the photographs.
Last edited by Ian Everett on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:53 am

But Ian I enjoy Mr Portillo... when he changes from a pendalino to a 158 and back again in the same trip... my other half just goes" it's a train, get over it"

So yes I do read most of the active bits on the board... sometimes I give up as I lose interest but today and in your post it caught my interest as I have a thing for NER locos and I enjoy Mikes writings. One day I will make it back to the uk and manage to meet all these people I have conversed with over the net! :D

Well it's only the next 4 years of school fees to deal with! Then I will be back over again.... and catch up with my sister who is in London but returns each Christmas... good for saving on postage! :shock:
Doug

timlewis

Postby timlewis » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Doug, you got the J71 and J77 mixed up. The first picture (68724) is a J72, the second (68232) is a J71 and the third (68395) is a J77. Yes, they do look quite similar but there are several detail differences. Lovely models!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:05 pm

timlewis wrote:Doug, you got the J71 and J77 mixed up.

Tee hee.

Just goes to prove our point about Geordie pugs all being the same.

And yes, Doug. My wife also rolls her eyes at my corrections of Mr Portillo's gaffs.

Ian

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Ian
Mike did tell us all about the differences between the locomotives but not being a 'cub' reporter I did not have a notebook and pen to hand! One of them is actually a test build of new etches but I did not get the opportunity to quiz him further. I'm having enough problems with the CSP range trying to identify the differences between various GWR locomotives! Would love to be able to stick with Cumbrian models but no chance at the moment.

The meal was very good and we can recommend it to anybody visiting Askrigg, although they had run out of pies on the day, so had to make do with an excellent piece of local lamb! Then again there was the beer! A lovely local brew of dark mild. Just wish I had not been driving, both trains and then a car!

Prior to arriving at Askrigg I'd spent a couple of hours trying to fathom out the wiring on Killicrankie. Having read through the comprehensive notes I now have a good idea of how to move things forward with a view to getting it up and running. DCC will reduce the amount of wiring considerably. Now that I have Chris's layout wired and running I might have time to sort this one out. Watch this space!
Philip

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:48 am

Thanks Tim :thumb my excuse is the things get turned around a little when the window for a reply comes up and I don't get a full screen on the computer at work.... surprisingly they expect me to do work!

Anyhow...Mike's work is fantastic. let alone the virtual area group so we can all see what has happened!
Doug

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”