CRAG Meeting February 2018

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

Ian Everett

CRAG Meeting February 2018

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Thursday 22nd February seems a long time ago but in my private life lots has happened but all has been resolved well, thanks to our super NHS.

Our meeting on that day was quite exceptional in having 12 members attending (plus a dog) at Stephen Paulin's house in Kirkby Stephen. Jon Price, Phil and Sheila Tuer, Ron and Patsy Tyler (and dog Bess), Bob Hetherington, Chris Pendlenton, Stephen Paulin, Stuart de Boer, David Dredge, Chris King and myself attended, had an excellent lunch in the Pennine Hotel - quite a find because Kirkby Stephen is not known for good eating houses - then repaired to Steve's.

There we admired Steve's new acquisition of Killiecrankie - a P4 model initiated by Peter Tatlow decades ago but never finished. Steve has all the boards but has yet to erect the complete layout. He thinks it might fit in his garage but unfortunately it is too wide for his purpose-built railway shed in his garden This might be a long-term problem for Steve but at least the garage was slightly warmer than shed. I think Steve has shares in thermal underware...

It's a lovely model, in good condition but needing a lot of cosmetic work, including improving track chairs - not a job for the faint hearted - and Steve has a number of appropriate "blue period" diesels, including the superb Sutton Loco Works Sulzer type 2s. With the layout came a lot of research documents and planning notes by Peter Tatlow - fascinating reading and an enormours helo to Steve in completing the job. I'm sorry I have only one photo of it. Maybe Steve could post some more?

So, exhibition managers, join the queue!

P1030371.jpg

We also had some much smaller treasures to admire:

P1030355.jpg

P1030354.jpg

P1030357.jpg

AM 7 Cat Dwg.jpg

P1030351.jpg[/attachment

[attachment=3]P1030365.jpg

Photos by Phil Tuer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ian Everett on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Tatlow

Re: CRAG Meeting February 2018

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Very pleased to see some life beginning to be breathed back into Killiecrankie. There is a fair amount of my handiwork in there (including the picture!).
Mark Tatlow

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am

Hi, Mark.

It's really great to make this connection. I presume that Peter is your father?

I was really impressed both by the layout and the research notes and photos that came with it. I think Steve will enjoy completing it and that members of CRAG will get great satisfaction from exhibiting it.

Best wishes,

Ian

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Ian, :)

Really pleased to hear you are on the up and that your group seem to be going from strength to strength. I was looking for Jon's loco pictures and he seems to be making a good job of the Hunslet and the Manning Wardell - lovely! Bob's loco and crane are also coming on leaps and bounds - I will probably see them fairly soon when he comes up our way. Mark's Dad's layout deserves to be completed and out there as you say, so much being done! Great stuff, I must check your thread more often.

Allan :)

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks, Allan,

It sometimes does not feel as though I am on "the up". But hot on the heels of February's meeting I am about to draft the report on yesterday;s meeting - another good turnout of 9 folk (including three wives and a dog) from as far away as Leeds and Carlisle, Frankly I'm exhausted by all this playing trains...

Ian

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:28 am

Hi Ian, :)

I do hope the dog is taking it all in! Must be something he could start to model - the Bonemouth Line for example. Isle of Dogs Junction or if modelling engines he could have a go at one of the Boneville beauties, I am sure he would love licking off the chocolate livery! Happy Easter!

Allan :D

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 am

Ian Everett wrote:
It's really great to make this connection. I presume that Peter is your father?

Yes that is correct.

What you see is a product of quite a few different contributors and over a fair number of years. The civils works are largely mine (the viaduct is a shared effort but I did paint all the stones which you will probably be able to tell was not a quick task!).

It just became a bit too big to have up and meeting only every month the project lost impetus. So I am exceptionally pleased to see it going forward again.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Ian, :)

I am sure he would love licking off the chocolate livery! Happy Easter!

Allan :D

Bessy went with two of the wives and my two dogs for a walk to the local waterfall and had a lovely time.

I'm not so sure that licking the chocolate from a "Boneville" engine would be a good idea. Today our border terriers encountered our visitors' Easter eggs and came out worst. They survived but shall we just say it was a good job we locked them in the utility room when we went for our lunch. :(

Ian

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”