CRAG Meeting 12 May 2016

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG Meeting 12 May 2016

Postby SteamAle » Mon May 16, 2016 10:59 am

Our May meeting was finally arranged and held at Chris King's house in Glasson, Cumbria.
Three ladies and four gentlemen met up at the Highland Laddie for a pub lunch. Six of us had poached fresh fish, four cod and two sea bass. I can thoroughly recommend the latter and everybody else enjoyed their meal. If you are on the Solway coast and looking for somewhere to stop for the night, meal or just a drop of Real Ale this pub comes highly recommended by us all. It is on the Hadrians Wall walking route if you are feeling energetic.

Suitably refreshed we meandered down the road to see what progress Chris had made with his layout. Since our last visit he had purchased a Megapoints control module and managed to fit new point tie bars, servo unit to one point, all switches and the module. So one point was operational and it was interesting to see how it worked compared to seep motors, previously used on several points. Not only can the module control points but also signals. These can be set to have a bounce but that will have to wait for another visit. Ron is also going to use a Megapoints module but he is fully DCC so will be using a different switch system. The challenge now is for him to be able to demonstrate it working on his layout next time we visit!
Lots of conversations took place and the time seemed to fly in. NBR tank locomotives in Cumberland and their livery being one.
Philip & Sheila had to leave early to collect their granddaughter from nursery so were presented with a selection of homemade cakes and scones to take away while the rest enjoyed a leisurely cuppa with their afternoon tea!

The next meeting will probably be in the south of the County, or even just over the border in Yorkshire, depending on who is hosting it. We will have to wait for Ian to return from his holiday to find out. I'll make no comment about the group organisor arranging to go away rather than attend a meeting. He really must check his diary before making a booking in future!

Philip

Ian Everett

Re: CRAG Meeting 12 May 2016

Postby Ian Everett » Sat May 21, 2016 5:23 am

I'm glad you had a good eeting and pleased that we have a couple of guinea pig Megapoint users, I'll watch progress with great interest for, like them, I was very impressed with what I saw at S4N.

SteamAle wrote:I'll make no comment about the group organisor arranging to go away rather than attend a meeting. He really must check his diary before making a booking in future!

Philip
In fairnes I should point out in my defence that this is the first meeting I've missed in years and this suggestion would better be addressed to SWMBO. :D

Ian

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”