CRAGies June meeting

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAGies June meeting

Postby SteamAle » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 pm

The June meeting took place at a new venue! We ventured across the border, again, into Yorkshire to have a look at Ron's master piece of a modelling room. The directions he sent out are worth posting just to give an idea of how remote he is at 1,350 feet above sea level and yes, they did work!

"Turn left at the traffic lights in KS if coming from Brough, or right if coming from Tebay and proceed to Nateby. In Nateby, turn left at the garage on to the B6780 for Reeth and ascend. Cross one cattle grid at the end of Nateby, then proceed ever upwards to 1700ft,hoping it doesn't snow, and then along for about six miles in unhospitable terrain until you lose the will to live. Be careful not to kill any lambs. At the sixth electricity pole turn left on to the road marked "Ravenseat Only". Do not cross another cattle grid. If you find it, you have gone too far! Proceed along the road to Ravenseat for about three-quarters of a mile, again being watchful for lambs, then, on a bend and before a dip, you will see Black Howe facing you, edge on to the road. At this stage, please stop and admire my new Engine Shed, the last stone barn to be built in the Dales! Had I been a farmer, I would have got away with a tin shed. Cars can be parked in the yard. (Or, at a cost, in the garage)."

This is within a brand new building designed to look like a barn and he thinks it will be the last to be built because of all the regulations there are in a national park. The ground floor houses several cars and workshop space and amazingly probably the poshest toilet in a garage I have ever seen!

One new member, Dave Smith from Carlisle joined us for the first time. Ian is getting quite worried as not only does he model in EM but Ron and I also do. With yet another new member hoping to join us next time, who also models in EM and lives near Carlisle, there is scope for a north south divide as well as an EM group!
However the priority was to come down from the dizzy heights and visit a local pub for lunch first. Amazingly we managed to sit outside and eat without getting wet!
Ron does not have any track down yet but he did have a length of 'OO' setup so that he could show off his Digital system working before he starts stock conversion. The photographs show the inside of the room which is situated on the first floor of the building with a view that you could almost die for out across the High Pennines.
Ron 1.jpg

Two reissued models from Millholme Models were on display. These were a Maryport & Carlisle 0-6-0 and a Furness D5. Paul Barker of Stevenson's Carraiges is the owner of the brand and has a nice range of etched brass carraige kits as well.

Ron 2.jpg

Ron 3.jpg

Ron 4.jpg

Ron 5.jpg

Philip
Steamale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”