Meeting 10th Jan 2913

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

Ian Everett

Meeting 10th Jan 2913

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:17 pm

A happy new year to all and a reminder that the next meeting of the Cumbrian Region Area Group will be at my house on Thurs 10th Jan, meeting as usual from 12 noon, then on to a pub lunch at the Crown at about 1pm, and returning to mine for an operating and nattering session.

We have members ranging from Carlisle, to Windermere, to Aysgarth, so we welcome any finescale modellers (or would-be modellers) in Cumbria or the northern Yorkshire dales. If you would like to join us please contact me for more details. Thursday afternoons might seem to be an odd time to meet but we are geographically widely scattered and mostly retired, so have chosen to avoid travelling long distances on dark nights and to leave weekends free for our many other commitments.

Some might know that I seem to have managed to become the organiser of a Scaleforum challenge to build a railway to P4 standards with a footprint of less than 4 sq ft or so. Details are still to be finalised but it is probable that it will be for the 2014 Scaleforum.

I hope we can spend some time at our meeting mulling over ideas for the challenge - I do hope it encourages some of our armchair modellers to build something they can be proud of and which might even become part of a larger project ultimately.

In response to one poster on the S4 Soc forum who said that such a space would prohibit anything other than an industrial model I have come up with three ideas for main-line projects, details of which we can mull over at the meeting and maybe agree our first joint project? For one of them we would need someone who is developing a stud of LNER pacifics and maybe Deltics, and who could paint a lovely backscene. Stand up you at the back!

Best wishes,

Ian

Tim V

Re: Meeting 10th Jan 2913

Postby Tim V » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Blimey - planning ahead aren't we?

I don't expect to be able to make any meeting in 2913...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Tim V wrote:Blimey - planning ahead aren't we?

I don't expect to be able to make any meeting in 2913...

The new Scalefour Challenge - Time Travel!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Should go well with the 4' space challenge - how about a TARDIS challenge?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Tim V wrote:Should go well with the 4' space challenge - how about a TARDIS challenge?

Trains And Rails Displayed In Scalefour?

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am

clecklewyke wrote:we are geographically widely scattered and mostly retired,

And apparently at least one is increasingly senile.

Tim V wrote:Should go well with the 4' space challenge - how about a TARDIS challenge?

I like that idea. I travel back in time to 1958 whenever I go into the railway room and Betsy says it's like a Tardis - there's far more in it than there is room for.

Ian

Ian Everett

Re: Meeting 10th Jan 2913 - and a question about whistle cod

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

2913 came and went quickly, with a most enjoyable meeting yesterday. Five of us congregated for an excellent pub lunch followed by a reasonably successful operating session on Bradford North Western. This was slightly hampered by the failure of a Hoffman point motor the previous day, so the facing crossover at the station throat could not be thrown. A rapidly rehashed timetable, making all arrivals use platforms 3 & 4, was drawn up and worked pretty well, which suggests that I might be able to emulate John Elliott's Bradfield Gloucester Square and simplify the layout by eliminating the facing crossover permanently when the station is eventually redesigned.

A lot of the shunting moves within station limits cannot be signalled (the LNWR was notably parsimonious with the provision of shunting signals), so much use was made of the signalman's green flag and discussion turned to the whistle signals used. I subsequently discovered Tim Shackleton's description of BR's standard whistle codes in MRJ 122.

Whistles will be issued before the next meeting...

One apparent omission from Tim's article was any reference to whistling before any train moves. I thought that the engine whistle was always popped as a warning to get out of its way when it started moving. Am I wrong?

The other omission was a description of a "crow". I think long and short whistles are obvious but what is a "crow".

Ian

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”