Non Railway Modelling

How to add the atmosphere.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Non Railway Modelling

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated.

Three different methods for the water.

For the Liberty Ship, the water is tin foil, crumpled then flattened out, painted with a mix of blues - it's the method I'm least pleased with.

For the calm water in the Japanese destroyer and HMS Argyll dioramas, a base coat is painted first then Tamiya Gloss Acrylic paint is added, a drop at a time, from a syringe. It tends to dry before it has a chance to completely level out so you get a bit of a ripple effect.

For the Schnellboot, the base itself is tile grout, sanded smooth with the boat pressed in before it dries. It was then painted with sea blue Tamiya Acrylic as a base coat with a mix of blues and white with lots of water to keep it workable and to dilute it for the paler blue for the wake with the whole lot given about 5 coats of gloss acrylic. The foam on the port side of the boat is cotton wool.

John
Last edited by John Donnelly on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:42 pm

This link to a method of representing water is interesting if you didn't catch it earlier

viewtopic.php?p=69682#p69682
Tim Lee

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:00 pm

As a break from P4 modelling - and I do need such a break sometimes - I've been building some plastic non-railway kits recently. The first was an Airfix 1/48 Seafire. My late father flew Seafires shortly after the war when he was an instructor at the School of Naval Air Warfare based at St Merryn RNAS station and the Airfix kit fortuitously gave instructions as to how a St Merryn Seafire was painted at that time. Naturally I have used them.

I've also built a Special Hobbies kit of a Fairey Barracuda Mk2. My father flew these during the war. Also 1/48, it was rather a clumsy brute of a plane as can perhaps be seen in comparison to the Seafire. The kit, which is Czechoslovakian, was not all that good and quite a bit of filling, etc., was required but it certainly captures the essence of the real thing. As the Barracuda was a torpedo bomber I'd have liked to have slung a torpedo under it but none was provided with the kit. Slow and underpowered, the Barracuda was not popular with its crews, and early models suffered a series of fatal aircrashes, initially unexplained, but subsequently the cause was traced to small leaks developing in the hydraulic system; the most common point for such a leak to happen was at the point of entry to the pilot's pressure gauge and was situated such that the resulting spray was directed straight into the pilot's face. Having said all that, over 2500 Barracudas were built and delivered to the FAA.

The crews used to sing about them:

Any old iron, any old iron,
Any, any, any old iron.
Down at Lee you get them free,
Built by Faireys for a crew of three.
Bags of fun, no front gun,
An engine you can't rely on.
You know what you can do
With your Barracuda two.
Old iron, old iron.

seafire.jpg

Barracuda.jpg

DT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Thorpe on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Nice work David. The Barracuda was a bit ungainly, I recall my dad building one from, I think, a Frog kit about 40 years in 1/72 scale.

This has reminded me, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was never happy with the 'water' on the Liberty ship diorama so I'm in the process of redoing it. The water is still tin foil but using a different technique which, whilst still needing some more work, it giving a far better effect:

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks John. I'm currently building, albeit rather intermittently, the Zvezda kit of the Imperial Russian pre-dreadnaught battle ship "Kniaz Suvorov". It is not a particularly good kit, being a 2005 rebox of an Eastern Express kit, and that shows. Mind you, it also shows in the price - less than £25 delivered for a 1/350 350mm long model. Zvezda's modern kits, which are of a higher standard, tend to cost twice that for equivalent models. However I'm quite enjoying the build, and hope that it'll be reasonably spectacular when built - Russian battleships of the period were painted black with yellow funnels. The poor old "Kniaz Suvorov" didn't last long - built in 1903 during the Russian - Japanese war, she then went on an epic 18000 mile voyage with the Russian 2nd Pacific Fleet from the Baltic to (hopefully) Port Arthur round the Cape with numerous coaling stops. The Russians hoped to sneak past the Japanese at Tsushima but unfortunately for them were intercepted and in the ensuing and rather one-sided battle the "Kniaz Suvorov" was sunk with its 928 crew, fighting to the vary last. Naval historian Sir Julian Corbett commented: "While she had a gun above water she fired, and not a man survived her of all that crew, to whose stubborn gallantry no words can do justice. If there is immortality in naval memory it is hers and theirs."

DT

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:52 pm

John, I should have mentioned that that Liberty ship of yours is absolutely stunning. I see that you've bitten the bullet and fully rigged it. If I'm to finish it properly, my Russian battleship is gping to require extensive rigging. What did you use for yours?

David

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 pm

Thanks David, the rigging is done using 'invisible' nylon thread which I got from my local Hobbycraft.

These days, I'd use Ez-Line instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-Simulatin ... B00P2QVMJ0

It is a very thin elastic thread that can be stretched quite far without damage so it is far less susceptible to knocks than the thread I used on the Liberty ship.

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:31 am

[quote=I must say when one starts to think of this - where can it lead? No problem with fiddle yards (abolished), no problem with train lengths (do what you like), locomotives without motors in (think of those gorgeous Victorian locos too small to motorise). Food for thought.[/quote]
Tim, we had a very god modeller in our gang who built superb static model engines with no means of propulsion.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am

ken kirk wrote:[quote=I must say when one starts to think of this - where can it lead?

Almost anywhere of course and I expect there are people on here who have other model making interests and it is good to see these. My interest is in making things, be they models or anything else and whilst there is an attraction in going down other pathways, lack of time does not make it sensible to do so if I want to get things finished. With my pre Grouping interest and working with my son on models from the diesel and electric era there is enough variation to maintain my interest. Those who build layouts can also vary what they are doing, given all the various skills that are needed to do so.

Terry Bendall

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am

Terry Bendall wrote:My interest is in making things, be they models or anything else and whilst there is an attraction in going down other pathways, lack of time does not make it sensible to do so if I want to get things finished.

Absolutely right Terry. My layout is having to take a back seat while the planes and ship are finished. On the other hand, not only do I sometimes need a break from what can be the rigours of P4, I also see a finished product with no need for further development within a fairly short time frame. However, I've just received a small package from Mr Seymour and suspect that it won't be long before I'm back at the railway bench.

DT

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 pm

I have always had an interest in military modelling and German WW2 ground forces. After having a bit of a collision between reality and preparing a presentation for the Virtual S4 North I felt (and feel) a little jaded with railway modelling so I am going to play with some military stuff for a while. At the moment I am building the new Tamiya Pz.Kpfw IV. Ausf F. I am trying to build it relatively out of the box although I have replaced the MG34s with some brass ones.

It is being built as an early production one, without the tropical modifications (which became standard) and will become a vehicle from Panzer Regiment GrossDeutschland during Summer 1942. I need to pull out my books and have a good look at photos as there is some discussion over whether the vehicles are in Grey or a tropical scheme (you thought railway liveries are complex...ha!)

Regards,

Craig W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:47 pm

Nice tank Craig,

We had our first post lockdown mini weekend holiday in Wiltshire this last weekend and drove various near MOD roads with "Caution:Tank Crossing" variant signs.

My childhood modelling was Aeroplanes first Hurricanes and Spitfires, ships, tanks and various others. But Biggles stories and a 1/72 package kit with 3 German 3 British bi-planes had me hooked on WW1 aircraft for quite a while.

Even now, when with daughters in Hobbycraft, I still drift to the model aeroplane kits and weigh up the (now adult) ease of purchase with the time to allot to doing it properly.

Andrew

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Also on the non railway workbench is this 1/72 scale Space Shuttle which I started at least a dozen years ago but recently dug out of it's box. She's a big girl as demonstrated by the MIG 15 in the same scale - this was built for my grand daughter a few years ago hence the rather unorthodox paint scheme.

I'm about to start work on the cockpit windows as they look nothing like the real thing...

Terry

Postby Terry » Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am

I've been modelling non railway stuff for many years, so here are some of mine:

Israeli AMX13 (1/35)

ImageIMG20200629201840 by terry.howlett, on Flickr
ImageIMG20200629202501 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

A couple of Air Cadet gliders (both 1/72 vac formed kits)

Image20190308_212214 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

And a trio of different Mk's of F-86 Sabre in 1/72

Image20190604_105801 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

Getting seriously into Finescale railway modelling is a great new challenge for me given the relatively new skills I need to master mainly in the form of soldering brass work and the level of precision needed to construct sprung or compensated chassis, but I'm looking forward to being able to extend my general modelling and weathering skills on some locomotives now!

Terry

Terry

Postby Terry » Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

Craig Warton wrote:I have always had an interest in military modelling and German WW2 ground forces.

And I forgot to add one for you Craig, as well as John Donnelly who started this thread I believe!

You will recognise as a SIG 33 ......

ImageIMG_1347 by terry.howlett, on Flickr
Image20180301_220746 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

Terry

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun May 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Oh my word, Terry, these are rather good.....

DT

Terry

Postby Terry » Sun May 02, 2021 9:15 pm

David Thorpe wrote:Oh my word, Terry, these are rather good.....

DT

Thank you David! There are many more like those, aircraft and AFV's with some ships "in progress".

I'm finding that taking up modelling railway subjects in finescale is very enjoyable and stretching my skills somewhat. The last week has been spent re-engineering an old Kemilway chassis kit for motorising an Airfix Mogal. I had originally started the chassis in OO scale some years ago, but dug it out and decided to de-solder the frames and attempt to move it to P4. It has actually gone better than expected so far. I'll need to source an Airfix Mogul at some point but I want to see if I can get a running chassis going first. Quite a bit to do yet!

Terry

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 am

Craig Warton wrote:It is being built as an early production one, without the tropical modifications (which became standard) and will become a vehicle from Panzer Regiment GrossDeutschland during Summer 1942. I need to pull out my books and have a good look at photos as there is some discussion over whether the vehicles are in Grey or a tropical scheme (you thought railway liveries are complex...ha!)

Craig, the picture of an Ausf. F1 at https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/panzer-iv/russland-panzer-iv-8-2/ may be of interest to your research. It's said to depict GD PzKpfw IVs in 1942, so would be in the right timeframe for the division's participation in Fall Blau operations. The "-8-2" element at the end of the URL may indicate an August 1942 date. Unfortunately there's nothing in the picture to identify the leading tank definitively as a GD vehicle other than what may be a white Stahlhelm badge that can be seen just ahead of the Notek light. If these are indeed GD vehicles in 1942 then the picture indicates that a grey paint scheme would be appropriate.

Strictly speaking, at this stage of its career GD should I think be referred to as Infanterie-Division Großdeutschland (mot), as I understand that the Panzer Grenadier designation was not applied until 1943. In the summer of 1942 its tank component consisted of a single Abteilung with a preponderance of PzKpfw IV Ausf. F1 and F2.

Returning to model railway matters, I much appreciated your contribution to Virtual Scalefour North. Particularly liked the V5 van with its representation of DC1 brake gear.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 pm

John Donnelly wrote:Also on the non railway workbench is this 1/72 scale Space Shuttle which I started at least a dozen years ago but recently dug out of it's box. She's a big girl as demonstrated by the MIG 15 in the same scale - this was built for my grand daughter a few years ago hence the rather unorthodox paint scheme.

I'm about to start work on the cockpit windows as they look nothing like the real thing...

I was surprised at how big the shuttle was when I saw it on the USS Intrepid in New York and how small the various space capsules that they have there are.

Cheers

Phil.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:28 pm

The last couple of weeks has seen no interest in railway modelling so I've gone back to the update of a previous display that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I've been working more on the water on the Liberty Ship diorama.

First up, after some more paintwork and the addition of acrylic gel medium to the 'water':

and a start on the ships wake and whitecaps:

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:17 am

I hope we get to see more photos of this in due course; it's already looking really rather special. What class is the DD?
Regards
Noel

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks Noel.

It is a US Fletcher Class.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:55 pm

My wife’s handiwork - H0 scale structures for a future module she wants to build….

13BC63D6-3CC0-456C-9C52-B1561D672448.jpeg
5DE5D177-D58F-498C-94E4-DA8DFD05AAC1.jpeg
ED6A23BE-0E3A-479B-8794-DD44CEEC950D.jpeg
F54BB477-4752-4460-B860-B8FDA83C2056.jpeg

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Neil, that is great stuff, looks like you have a great team there.

Ralph

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:12 am

ralphrobertson wrote:Neil, that is great stuff, looks like you have a great team there.

Ralph

She knows how to play with colour!

Return to “Scenery and Structures”