GWR rectangular covered water tower - dimensions?

How to add the atmosphere.
junctionmad

GWR rectangular covered water tower - dimensions?

Postby junctionmad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am

Im trying to establish the basic dimensions of the typical later pattern , ( I beams and four legs ) GWR water tower similar to the one at Henly in Arden

https://goo.gl/images/f2TCAA

can anyone help ?

Dave

ianpenberth

Re: GWR rectangular covered water tower - dimensions?

Postby ianpenberth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:21 pm

The 1":40' Water Plans show the tank sizes, e.g. at the west end of Bodmin Road, 20' x 12' x 8' (Capacity @ 7'6", 11250 gall).
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks Ian , I have a picture of thAt tower so I can scale accordingly

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22 pm

I am scratch-building a model based on the preserved tank at Toddington, with some help from a drawing kindly supplied by Chris Lamacraft of the principal elevation of a similar (but not identical) tank at Ashburton.

By reference to Chris's drawing, my own photographs and some rivet-counting (!) I confirmed the outside dimensions of the tank as 20 feet long by 12 feet wide and 8 feet deep. The Ashburton tank was not so deep, and may have been narrower. I calculated that the legs should be 18 feet long.

I took a whole series of photos at Toddington, which have been a great help in building the model. Here are a couple of general shots. I could post some more detailed shots here if anyone is interested.

Digital camera 2011-12391.jpg

Digital camera 2011-12386.jpg

Evergreen styrene sections make the job of fabricating the legs very easy, and Archer's rivet decals take care of all those pesky rivets.

The one thing that has always puzzled me is that no-one has ever produced a kit for this type of GWR water tank; it seems such an obvious subject for a kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Tanks :D for that , Id love to see the detail shots as that tank is exactly the one Im basing my 7mm model on ( chipping sodbury ) which had those rectangular legs

I notice the typically rectangular rising main cover to the tank is absent

Also while there is a single pipe , how come there isnt two ? , filling and supply

Also I presume the typically wheel and weight was a shutoff valve , with the weight position being inverse to the height of the water

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Restoration of the Toddington tank had not been completed when the two photos I posted above were taken in 2011. My later detail photos show the additional plumbing.

What I now propose to do is to take some photos of my part-built model and post these on my Burford Branch thread, together with my other prototype photos and a first draft of an article in which I have described the build so far.

Give me a day or so to do this, and I will try to post this material on my own thread early next week.
Last edited by martin goodall on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Sorry, I overlooked the question about the wheel and weight. This is a depth gauge. As the water level goes down in the tank, the indicator on the outside of the tank rises. The tank is full when the indicator is at the bottom of the gauge, and empty when it's at the top. There is a float inside the tank which falls and rises as the water level changes. I am not aware that there was a cut-off valve as such.

Incidentally, the thin plating on the outside of the tank would be completely unable to hold in 12,000 gallons of water. This plating simply surrounded the insulation around the actual tank, a much stronger and slightly smaller structure with suitable internal bracing. I don't know what material was actually used for the insulation, but I would guess that it may have been old sleepers - just enough to prevent the water from freezing in the winter. It would not need to have been anything like asbestos.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:15 pm

As promised, I have now posted further information on this topic on my Burford Branch thread.

Return to “Scenery and Structures”