Yard Crane colour

How to add the atmosphere.
MarkS

Yard Crane colour

Postby MarkS » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I have had difficulty finding the colour(s) used on late Midland, early LMS yard cranes.
By default, I would think grey or black, but seen hints that they may have been painted a bauxite colour.
Would there be differences for all iron, all steel, wooden jib?

All comments welcomed...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

adigill

Re: Yard Crane colour

Postby adigill » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am

Hello Mark, I’m modelling the Midland Railway 1911 and whilst I’m no expert I did take some pictures of two yard cranes on the KWVR a while ago. Both cranes are the larger of the ones the Midland used one is in the bauxite colour and the other is in cream and LMS brown. I’ve also seen the mobile versions in loco crimson red, grey and bauxite, so I guess it’s up to you what colour you paint it as there doesn’t seem to have been a standard.
Hope this helps, like I say I’m not an expert!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Thank you Adrian for these photos, quite helpful!
I think I can assume that all the ironwork would all be one colour, either bauxite or LMS brown and the wood beam painted or perhaps creosoted?

As you say, I'm not likely to be questioned too closely, so I am leaning toward LMS brown with a cream jib.
It seems to look "all right" or at least "quite reasonable"...
Cheers,

Mark.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Do The LMS Wagon, LMS Wagons Vol 1 & 2 and Midland Wagons Vol 1&2 have the paint specs?
I would not trust preserved examples.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Light Grey
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 am

In general the Midland painted metal bits Venetian Red (an iron oxide based paint - as per the above photo - as it was cheap and hard wearing) and wooden parts tended to be a light cream colour such as Denby Cream.

Paint technology late 19C was such that colours were based on natural pigments (such as iron oxide) and the paint produced at the painting shop using weight based recipes. Therefore it's a bit pointless to ask questions such as what colour was Midland Grey as it would have depended how the paint foreman was feeling that day - it was black mixed with white to give a lightish grey which then would weather quite quickly to a dark grey as the sulphurous atmosphere oxidised the Lead based pigment in the white component.

Paints tended to weather quite quickly.

regards

Alan
Last edited by Alan Turner on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Slightly off topic, but Interesting glimpse of the front of a 4-COR MBT in the 3rd picture down of the KWVR posted by adigill.

Is the 4-COR featured in any more of your pictures by any chance?

Steve

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Hardwicke, Alan, thanks for the further information - is it more likely that the grey colour was applied in LMS days, or could the Midland have changed to grey during WW1?

What little information I have been able to gather (from the internet, so it must be true!!) also indicates the Midland used bauxite/Venetian Red for metal.
For that matter, how often would a crane be repainted??
Cheers,

Mark.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm

I found my copy of "Through Limestone Hills" and although not definitive, Bill said he believed a crane at Chinley was bauxite/red oxide with white lettering. I've also found my Midland Wagon books. I'll check them

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm

How often they were painted is anyone's guess. Depends on who was in charge.

Return to “Scenery and Structures”