Another Buffers Question

How to add the atmosphere.
Lindsay G

Another Buffers Question

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Does anyone recognise the buffers in the image below - or more to the point does anyone know of any castings that are somewhat akin to them? I've scoured the images available on sites such as Wizard Models and MJT without success, but not all traders have images, or images of all their items, on line.

Beneath the blooming begonias, the buffer stops are in all probability run-of-the-mill Caledonian items (thankfully available from Dave Franks at LMS, and very nice items they are too), but the heavy-duty sprung additions are something else. They certainly don't look a Caley item - possibly confirmed when a similar question put to their Association's Forum brought zero responses.

Thanks in anticipation,

Lindsay

Buffers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Re: Another Buffers Question

Postby Tim V » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 pm

They don't look like wagon buffers, more like loco buffers, poor quality photo - but do I see a standing plate on top of them?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 pm

There's a name below the buffers which appears to be Barnton. Is, or was, there anything in the nature of the traffic to that station that might call for the heavy duty buffers? I agree with Tim that they look to be older loco buffers.

Cheers,

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm

David Knight wrote:There's a name below the buffers which appears to be Barnton. Is, or was, there anything in the nature of the traffic to that station that might call for the heavy duty buffers? I agree with Tim that they look to be older loco buffers.

There's is a Barnton in Edinburgh, however in significant railway terms Barnton Cheshire (Northwich) is where ICI (or Brunner Mond originally ) had its soda ash plant on the banks of the river Weaver. This is heavy chemical engineering country. Lime stone was delivered there in significant quantities via the Cheshire Lines, and there was a large internal railway system.

Barnton in Edinburgh was a posh suburb home of an very early golf course but it did have a quarry which notably turned itself into a nuclear bunker.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Given that Lindsay is talking Caley, I doubt its the Cheshire one. :)
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 pm

I'd guess these are the stop blocks at the end of the three roads in Barnton station visible in this plan: http://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56244.

The buffers bear quite a strong similarity to the self-contained buffers fitted to Avonside engines - see this shot of Portbury at http://bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/portbury-2001.jpg. Possibly worth an approach to CSP/Agenoria? (http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/category&path=65)

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Yup it's Barnton, Edinburgh. Terminus of a short branch line with little of note by way of passenger or freight traffic. All 5 lines that terminated in front of the station building had these buffers, 4 of which were passenger lines, the last being, in all probability, the receiving line for goods trains. There was the quarry that Will referred to, but it was closer to Davidson's Mains station and mostly downhill to it for heavily laden carts. Images of Barnton, in any era, are like hen's teeth so I'm more than happy for any images received such as the poor one posted.

Agreed, the buffers look well oversized for wagon buffers, I've not discounted any buffers from consideration. Those highlighted by John are certainly worth following up on - thanks, John. In fact, with some careful filing and the addition of a standing plate, they might also do for buffers on one of the Caley's early breakdown crane runner trucks :

runner buffers.jpg

That saves a possible future question to the Forum, and Jim Summers might also be pleased with the pointer! (One problem solved, now we've only to ponder on springing of the 6 wheels within the Caley's love of outside W irons - let's leave that for future consideration).

Any further pointers to possible buffers gratefully accepted. Cheers,

Lindsay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 am

They look like Caledonian Heavy Duty Self Contained wagon buffers. There are quite a few photos in the Caledonian Wagon Book by Mike Williams.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 pm

This thread came up in a discussion with Dave Franks at Moderail a few weeks ago. Turns out that Dave was casting a few buffers for another kit manufacturer that were as good a match as I'd probably come up with. So a few more were cast, passed my way, and are now fitted to his buffer stops :

Buffers added.jpg

Another item chalked off the list. Now the question is how the Caley finished off their buffers within station areas (white frame and red beam being the front runner but based on a minimal amount of images).

Cheers,

Lindsay

Return to “Scenery and Structures”