UNDER A CLOUD

How to add the atmosphere.
ken kirk

UNDER A CLOUD

Postby ken kirk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Dear all,
Been busy with NAG but managed to make a start on my loft roof "backscene".
This consists of sky and clouds as a railway line (GNR) on an embankment will form the "backscene" proper. This has the added advantage of not needing to paint other scenery if you are not up to it. There's still some blending in to do, but it's mostly finished on this side of the loft. Only another 3 sides to do (!)

Regards,
Ken
backscene 1.JPG

backscene 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ken kirk on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken kirk

Re: UNDER A CLOUD

Postby ken kirk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Can't count. 3 sides to do.
Ken

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:31 am

Looks good and cloudy to me. Looks like a storm is brewing. :shock:

I find this interesting as I will be doing the same, currently still putting the boards up but the shape looks the same.

I'm going to be taking things further though as I like to make little films and havent done so for a long time, so sometimes I may fix an ironed painted bedsheet over the top for a different scene as before and am currently thinking of maybe a bright red screen for chroma key effects (green screen).

I used 6mm thick MDF for the boarding. A couple of bits warped though annoyingly so we had to remove a few panels and bolster the joints.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:29 am

Very good ominous clouds there Ken………but why not have waited until David's talk.
Personally, I would keep the back scenery simple so as not to overpower the layout.
Hopefully see yah Thursday.
Rob

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks Rob.
David won't be doing clouds much, but wanted to crack on anyway. Got to start sometime and somewhere.
There is a reason for these clouds.The blue emulsion didn't take very well and came out streaky.. Couldn't spray as I want to live a bit longer. I mixed up some grey and scumbled it in to cover most of the blue. It's not too bad for a first attempt. I used the following acrylics for the clouds: Titanium White, Ultramarine, Vermillion and Ochre.
I painted the next panel with this blue emulsion onto lining paper glued to boards.
I then painted a second coat, blending into a lighter hue near the horizon. Guess what? The next day it all went back to the original colour. I think the first coat had bled into the second.
Answer, if you want to do something more than basic, use the right kit!
Second go will used white acrylic primer (2 coats) then acrylic blue blended with the primer for a lighter hue near horizon.

If this works, I'll put some Cumulus clouds in. The "White fluffy clouds in a cluster hanging on the breeze to dry" despite the poetry, can be a bit of a cliché in modelling. When looking along a layout some backscenes look like they've got thrush. I've tried to elongate the above clouds as you will be able to look along the loft, but it looks overdone.The next lot you can't look along, but I'll still put some sizeable ones in. don't want to dominate the rest of the layout, so I'll try to balance things better. Here goes, Ken

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 am

Good luck……. :)
Rob

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks Rob.
Here's what I hope is the finished article. I've been tarting up the alcove clouds for a while now, putting several layers of highlights and blending in.
It's not too bad but, yer know, it's only a backscene.

P1130273.JPG

P1130276.JPG

Can't wait to get cracking on the track. Part of Howard Bolton's templot in foreground to do next. This is for the Down refuge siding on the GN line near Hucknall, together with a crossover. Tony Wilkins kindly made me a templot for the crossing in the background, which is is for setting back into the up refuge siding. This is fixed in situ and ballasted. all work, including, signals, point actuation, rodding etc. will be built whilst the board is on the bench then tested. Once working, most scenic work will also be done on the bench. The boards will then be fixed in their final position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:22 am

:thumb

Not started mine yet…….apart from digging out an old window blind from the garage and getting rid of the dead spiders and cobwebs!
Rob

Return to “Scenery and Structures”