The smelly stuff

How to add the atmosphere.
jintynut

The smelly stuff

Postby jintynut » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi all
This is my first post, hopefully not the last they will trickle out from time to time as I get more involved.
Does anybody know where I can purchase parts for a small gas works. I sent an email to Hornby asking if they will be producing theirs at some in the future, they sent back "we don't currently have any in stock", well I know that cause no nobody else does!. :?
Cheers
Bert

Tim V

Re: The smelly stuff

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 pm

Peter Denny covered the construction of a small gasworks. I can't remember which magazine it was in though!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Tim V wrote:Peter Denny covered the construction of a small gasworks. I can't remember which magazine it was in though!

Buckingham Branch Lines Part One 1945-1967 pages 108 to 113 (WSP ISBN 1874103143) . The trouble is, there's all the other inspirational ideas provided by the great man - so much to build, so little time to build everything ...
David L-T

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Tim V wrote:Peter Denny covered the construction of a small gasworks. I can't remember which magazine it was in though!

Railway Modeller, June 1961.

No, my memory doesn't go back that far no matter how tired I look, and I wasn't even born then. However I do know how to harness the power of the internet...

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Just checked, my copy of the RM is missing...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:43 pm

There is this - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... es/page-85 (post 2110).

There has also been quite a discussion recently on RMWeb about gas holders (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... missioned/) which has quite a lot of information as to how the prototype was constructed.

David

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Walthers do an HO gas holder and numerous associated buildings and tanks etc. Might be worth checking out.

John

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:31 pm

This may or may not help. A small gasworks in 1939:

stourport_gas_works_1939.jpg

usage required attribution: © http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw061731

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:35 pm

I don't know how big you were thinking but you might like to search for: Arthington Gas Works. A very nice little works that I am going to build one day.

regards

Alan

James Moorhouse

Postby James Moorhouse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:15 am

Some useful links were given in an earlier thread on gas holders, see: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1144 One of the links features a 4mm model of a gas works and though kits have been used, most of it seems to have been scratchbuilt.

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:35 am

Anybody who's read my Forum related column in Snooze 191 will has seen my reference to the Goods & Not So Goods web site which is a gold mine of information about exactly this sort of question. As John hasn't update the links page that goes with the column yet (hint) you can try this link to the sites info about gas works specifically

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:01 am

There were a series of articles in British Railway Modelling - 2004.

The Hornby models were based on Fakenham, Norfolk - a museum well worth a visit if you are interested in modelling Gas Works.

regards

Alan

jintynut

Postby jintynut » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for the threads, my own project is for the Radstock gasworks in Somerset, part of the S&D, right behind the cinema. I can imagine what might have been said if the wind was the wrong direction as Rhett Butler was saying " Frankly my dear I don't give a Damn", in Gone with the Wind :D
Bert

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 pm

jintynut wrote:Thanks for the threads, my own project is for the Radstock gasworks in Somerset, part of the S&D, right behind the cinema. I can imagine what might have been said if the wind was the wrong direction as Rhett Butler was saying " Frankly my dear I don't give a Damn", in Gone with the Wind :D
Bert

I know the site well, due to my professional involvement with it in recent years, but client confidentiality prevents me from saying any more than that. It long since ceased to be a gasworks, of couse.

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:This may or may not help. A small gasworks in 1939:

stourport_gas_works_1939.jpg

usage required attribution: © http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw061731

Martin.

Very interesting photo (and link) Martin!

As a kid in the mid 1960s, we lived a short distance from Stourport. I remember the power station, which I think was near the site depicted above, still with its WW2 camouflage paint on the towers - shown in some of the nearby images on that link.

David Murrell

pheald

Postby pheald » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:41 pm

You might be interested in a short artical on Gas Holders in Industrial Archaeology News no 172 Spring 2105. I am afraid it does not seem to be available off the website yet see:

http://industrial-archaeology.org/aian.htm

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:10 pm

I managed to get hold of a couple of Walther's gas holders and they are a pretty good representation of typical early 20thC structures, If I recall, they took some tracking down and I think Victor's of Islington were involved, but they may no longer be in existence. The Hornby items, particularly the condensers, are quite good although you need a few to make any impact. It may be worth persevering with ebay or Amazon or some of the bigger stores like Hattons or Holt Model Railways?

Steve

Return to “Scenery and Structures”