Making your own corrugated sheeting

How to add the atmosphere.
johnp

Making your own corrugated sheeting

Postby johnp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I have a vague recollection of an article in one of the modelling magazines of a machine to make corrugated sheeting. I seem to remember that the machine was built using Meccano. Can anyone confirm this and also which magazine copy. I know I don't have the issue.

Thanks

John

Russ Elliott

Re: Making your own corrugated sheeting

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes, I think I remember that, but the principle is just two loosely-meshed spur gears, each of a long length. Meccano gears will produce corrugated, but it will be more suitable for 10mm scale.

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

Railway Modeller July 1964 p191, letter by R.H.Stead (was second RM in a handful I had pulled down for a random browse yest evening). Sure I have seen more recent incarnations too. Diagram and list of Meccano parts, used with ".018mm" kitchen foil for lineside fences, cereal packet for factory roofs. No pics. Use of pairs of 3/4" Meccano pinions on each axle may produce unwanted seams, diagram shows pairs are offset so joins are staggered on axles.

Can't remember Meccano axle diameter (remnants buried deep in loft) -worth trying the principle with alternative finer pinions?

Steve

(RM issue also had Derek Naylor's extended Aire Valley 00n3 layout, LMS Soc contribs from John Horton (Stanier 0-4-4T on bogies) and Bob Essery (42ft Parcels and Luggage van). Holiday Suggestions included Bluebell as only SG preserved line...., but twelve layouts were available to public view. RM cost 2/6 (12.5p) Happy days.)

johnp

Postby johnp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks Russ and Steve. Some thinking is scheduled and a browse of the second-hand magazine sellers.

Regards,

John

David Dornom

Postby David Dornom » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm

I have been making myown corrugated sheeting from foil, using a home made jig. The jig consists of one roller, made in my case from a cotton reel surrounded by hard corrugated material - in my case corrugated stailess steel! The otherpart is a flat sheet of the same material. The foil is placed on the flat sheet, and then rolled with the roller in the same way as rolling pastry.
Many people have seen the gadget at Scaleforum etc, and asked where the stainless material can be obtained. Short answer is that I don't know. Mine came from a filter in a liquid gas line on a hgas carrying ship! I have thought about it a lot, and think that a succession of stright brass wires soldered to a carrier would probably do the same job. Have fun!
Regards David Dornom

Return to “Scenery and Structures”