Burntisland at Alexandra Palace 2019

CDGFife

Burntisland at Alexandra Palace 2019

Postby CDGFife » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Just back from a trip to take Burntisland to the Ally Pally show. Hard work and a long way, but a good team and great fun. Good to see Mike and Terry with the Society stand and also chat to Martin with Eccleston and Robin with Rolvenden who were both there holding the P4 end up! Here's some snaps from our stand, mainly taken before opening on Sunday....

AP19-01.jpg

AP19-02.jpg
First operation at an Exhibition (we used it in Burntisland in October) of the Roundhouse turntable. Monitor on the right shows the viewers what's going on inside!

AP19-3.jpg

AP19-04.jpg

AP19-05.jpg

AP19-06.jpg

Finally I'll leave you with this one and echo the words said elsewhere that it was a privilege to have known such a nice fellow...

AP19-07.jpg

Cheers
CDG

Terry Bendall

Re: Burntisland at Alexandra Palace 2019

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 am

Chris forgot to mention the other P4 layout at Ally Pally, Lower Exbury now in the care of Alison Barker. This year the exhibition probably had the most layouts built to P4 standards ever and as always it was helpful to point those who stopped by the Society stand in the direction of these layouts.

I enjoyed seeing the loco shed area on Burntisland now nearing completion and some impressive work was evident. The CCTV system to show where locos were inside the shed was a nice touch. Unfortunately duties on the stand meant that I had little time to see the layout or any of the others in operation.

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 am

Terry Bendall wrote:Chris forgot to mention the other P4 layouts . . .

Plural, Terry. Eccleston was there as well

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am

Can you tell me something about the camera set-up in the roundhouse please? Make/model of camera especially. Thanks.
Rod

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am

Apologies to Alison - I spent a while watching Lower Exbury too! Obviously it had been a long day on Monday. I have form for this, after Glasgow last year I forgot that Mostyn was there despite having spent several happy hours watching it in my breaks! However David, I did in fact mention Eccleston.

Rod - the cameras we use in the Roundhouse are standard CCTV pinholes like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XXPD7X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them on Cadhay also (thanks to Lindsay & the team's research of their operation for the Roundhouse) and once provided with 12v DC, they just plug and play into a screen like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are actually 2 cameras in the Roundhouse, the side on view has it's signal split and goes to the public monitor and to a small screen like the one linked above at the rear of the layout for the operators. There's also an overhead camera that the operators can switch to in order to gauge position on the turntable, but that does not go to the public monitor.

Hope that helps

CDG

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 am

I have enjoyed this model at several shows but couldn't get to Railex last year or Ally Pally recently.
When are its next planned outings ?

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes, I too am looking forward to having the opportunity to see the roundhouse/works complex - looks really good. Apart from St Margarets, were there any similar roundhouses on the NB system?

That CCTV arrangement looks like something we could use to advantage in the trainshed on Burnham!

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I'll just jump in and beat Terry to saying Burntisland 1883 will be at Scaleforum in September!

I might start a new thread detailing our exhibition commitments beyond that, once I've verified with the Hon Sec that my recollection of the calender is in fact accurate!

Cheers

CDG

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 pm

CDGFife wrote:Rod - the cameras we use in the Roundhouse are standard CCTV pinholes like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XXPD7X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them on Cadhay also (thanks to Lindsay & the team's research of their operation for the Roundhouse) and once provided with 12v DC, they just plug and play into a screen like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps

CDG

That's great CDG, many thanks.
Rod

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 am

CDGFife wrote:I'll just jump in and beat Terry to saying Burntisland 1883 will be at Scaleforum in September!

And that of course is just one reason why everyone should attend Scaleforum. :D

Terry Bendall

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 am

Just to mention, :)

There were other roundhouses on the North British. The best known was St.Margarets in Edinburgh. There were two there in NBR days. One belonged to the North British Railway and remained there through to BR days. Unfortunately it lost its roof during the LNER period and it was never restored. The second one at St. Margarets was on the other side of the main line and belonged to the North Eastern Railway (although technically, I suppose, not on the North British system as such but the exit was on to the NB main line.

There is an excellent book by Harry Knox who is an ex-railwayman and member of the East Group all about St. Margarets. Full of interesting photographs and stories of life there and beyond on the NB up to the end of steam. It was a fascinating place to go as a spotter. The NB turntable shed in BR days was where all sorts of ancient and interesting shunting tank locos congregated. The ex-NER one had disappeared by this late stage with the carriage shed converted for larger locos and the NER Roundhouse replaced by other facilities.

There may have been other early round houses in the early days of the Scottish companies. The NB shed at Carlisle (Canal) was part roundhouse, if I remember correctly, but that was of course in England. The other Edinburgh and Northern shed was at Ladybank, I have a model of that, but it was a straight shed. The best known roundhouse in Scotland was Highland Railway at Inverness. The GNOSR also had a roundhouse in Aberdeen.

Harry's books are all excellent and I have them all in my collection and can recommend them, unfortunately Harry was hospitalised due to a stroke and has only recently been moved having shown signs of some recovery. We all wish him well and hope he recovers fully in time.

Allan :)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Chris forgot to mention the other P4 layout at Ally Pally, Lower Exbury now in the care of Alison Barker. This year the exhibition probably had the most layouts built to P4 standards ever and as always it was helpful to point those who stopped by the Society stand in the direction of these layouts.
Terry Bendall

According to my Bristol colleagues, Rolvendon was there too!
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Yes it was. As mentioned in the original post, I had a long chat with Robin about LSWR cattle wagons whilst enjoying watching the Rolvenden trains go by.

CDG

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Tim V wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:Chris forgot to mention the other P4 layout at Ally Pally, Lower Exbury now in the care of Alison Barker. This year the exhibition probably had the most layouts built to P4 standards ever and as always it was helpful to point those who stopped by the Society stand in the direction of these layouts.
Terry Bendall

According to my Bristol colleagues, Rolvendon was there too!

However Robin has to convert it to EM for the show in Perth this June !!! Maybe he had already done that before AllyPally?

:shock:

TonyHorsewill

Postby TonyHorsewill » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:14 pm

I very much enjoyed Burntisland at AllyPally last week - for me it was a highlight of the show. I know you were busy operating the railway, but thank you for discussing your railway with me, I really appreciated it.

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 am

Hi Tony :)

We have always made a habit of doing this as there are not many layouts covering this period or area for that matter. We do think it worthwhile as it seems to add to the onlookers enjoyment. One of the comments we had at the weekend surprised me and it happened twice, was someone came up and asked whether the layout was 3mm scale. Interesting, we have never had that before but the smallness of the locomotives and wagons of the period must have given the individual involved a bit of a surprise, maybe he thought the track was some sort of broad gauge? If you talk to people at exhibitions they often proffer information that is useful to you, its a two -way thing. When I had the museum it very soon became clear that it is not that a museum is just full of historic things, it is the history that people bring with them that in fact makes things come alive. I think it is the same with model railway shows.

Allan :)

AJCT

Postby AJCT » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:33 pm

As Chris says, some pics were taken before opening time on the Sunday, so the sharp-eyed amongst you may spot in the 4th pic my anachronistic "Snow Plough Track Cleaner" being propelled by NBR Hurst 0-6-0 No. 80A. Normally the plough gets used before opening-time to deal with the inaccessible track in Platform 3 in the station train shed, but it's useful to run it elsewhere on the layout to reduce the possibility of damage to telegraph poles and the like by full-size hands and track rubbers etc. Construction details (on another forum) here -
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... k-cleaner/

Alasdair
Newton Duns - Waverley Route revival in P4.

Return to “East of Scotland”