East of Scotland June Meeting and a Wee Challenge

Lindsay G

East of Scotland June Meeting and a Wee Challenge

Postby Lindsay G » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Over the weekend of Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th, with nothing better to do at this month’s meeting we set ourselves the challenge to build a test track and a possible set up for exhibiting the engine Works of Burntisland as a standalone item. Envisaged set up would allow both DC and DCC running so that everyone could bring along their handwork to selected future meetings (well, everyone building models to a gauge of 18.83mm that is).

To minimise storage of additional boards, we were using the 3 engine works boards and legs plus a pair of legs from elsewhere on Burntisland and 8 of the “roundy” boards from Barnton. That just (just?) left us with 3 other boards to build, some additions to the Barnton boards, 11 sets of identical legs and adjusters, trackwork to build and lay, electrics to track and points, new connections to controls panels and power units and a shelf to sit them on. So, guaranteed full shifts and overtime for all attending.

Starting point on Saturday morning was laying out the kit of parts, allocating a few duties, and before we knew it some were up and running........

Starting Point.jpg
Bruce Murray picking up the pieces and Richard Darby laying down the law.
Starting Point.jpg (140.6 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

Throughout the 2 days we had busy little bees around the room.......

The Workers.jpg
Clockwise : Having got rid of that gaffer, Chris Gough and Bruce Neill set to work on one of the new baseboards; Alasdair Taylor proudly displays his new pointwork; Ian Terrell and Richard Darby fit the control shelf; Ray Nolton and Richard Coyle fitting some new flexitrack; Allan Ferguson and Chris McCarthy will the first engine around the boards; Nigel Cliffe testing his electrical work.
The Workers.jpg (117.2 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

New boards and trackwork either side of the Engine Works boards with a well earned break sandwiched between them........

Tea Break.jpg
To the left, some pointwork was necessary to marry up the 4 tracks from the Engine Works board to 2 on Barnton's roundy. Trackwork to the right looks as if it was laid by an inebriated Bruce Murray - a couple of reverse curves are necessary as the tracks on the Engine Works board splay out to meet tracks on Burntisland's large turntable fiddle yard. However, it should provide a nice wee test for some stock.
Tea Break.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

And at the end of the weekend, it all looked a bit more promising.......

Late Sunday.jpg
Most folks are sitting around admiring their efforts whilst Ray Nolton and Jim MacKenzie continue laying track on a new board.
Late Sunday.jpg (119.41 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

Did we succeed with the challenge? Well it isn’t completely finished but it’s nearly there. Some locos, battery and DC, travelled around most of the weekend’s efforts – highlighting that those Barnton boards need some TLC after a number of years enduring extremes of temperature in an uninsulated garage. A lot of hard work was put in and a lot of enjoyment and a feeling of accomplishment taken from it. Wonder what we’ll do next month?

Apologies to those not caught on camera, and thanks to Bruce M for a number of the images.

Lindsay

Jim Summers

Re: East of Scotland June Meeting and a Wee Challenge

Postby Jim Summers » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Well, as no one else has commented so far, I will just observe that it is remarkable how much progress my mates can make when I am not there.

And since you ask, I was in Watford, enjoying the Society AGM and the delights laid on by the traders and exhibitors there: it was a good day out.

Some fine and innovative work is going into that roundhouse and the associated engine works at Burntisland, I assure you. You will enjoy the results.

Jim

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Lindsay,

What is the tightest curve on the test track ? Also would it be possible for you to let us have some details of the construction of the boards and supports.

Clive.

iak

Postby iak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 am

Gentlemen, your wee challenge has been met well and truely methinks...
I agree some dimensions and such could be useful to some of us, inspiration can appear when least expected. :thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Iain and Clive,

I'll get round to replying with images as soon as poss. Trouble is that some parts are here in Edinburgh and others in mid-Scotland where Burntisland 1883 has been erected for maintenance and progress over the summer school holiday period.

Lindsay

iak

Postby iak » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Fine Lindsay, no worries. :thumb

Robert Fripp

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you Lindsay. Seeing your test track reminded me that I have been talking about doing something similar to test my own locos. I need to get the talk made into three dimensional reality.

Clive.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Right, been out west with camera, so in answer to the queries :

Tightest curve. The inner track of the roundy is 1010mm radius – not really built to test engines but to fill the space available in its normal garage home. I thought the reverse curve on one of the new boards (see image above) might have been tighter but it’s about the same radius – we could change the profile of these reverse curves to test locos and stock further.

Roundy Board Construction : As these boards were purely for continuous running within the garage and constant assembly/dismantling wasn’t an issue, construction is pretty basic and uses inexpensive materials throughout (far eastern ply rather than birch, wood dowels rather than patternmakers). Templot was used to size all boards and as a template for the curved sections.

Board details.jpg
Board details.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

Construction is completely of ply. The strength/rigidity is mostly in the floor which is 9mm ply. Underneath there are 18mm end/cross pieces and 9mm intermediary cross pieces. Sides are of 3mm ply, part overlapped so that they stack for storage/transit and the upper half stops stock falling from a great height. Sides are glued (Tetrabond II) and pinned to the floor/cross pieces. Whether curved or straight, the units are all extremely rigid.

The 18mm end pieces were matched up in pairs and 9mm holes drilled through on a bench drill and 9mm dowel cut to length and fitted. All board joints are still perfect – makes me wonder whether the cost of pattern makers dowels is necessary (although I acknowledge they’re more fragile and could wear if manhandled regularly).

Legs : These boards normally sit on brackets attached to the garage walls so new legs were required. They were designed with quick assembly in mind so all new legs are identical to fit anywhere and are push fit only. An additional softwood cross piece was added to the boards 9mm from an existing cross piece into which a tongue on the top section of the leg fits keeping the legs pretty perpendicular to the boards (experience will tell if we need some diagonal bracing for added rigidity).

Leg details.jpg
Leg details.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

At the other end of the legs, the crosspiece extends to about 350mm to provide some stability as the legs are pretty narrow. T-bolts were set into these crosspieces then araldited to hold adjustable feet (which were superfluous items that came with Ikea lounge units) – not such an adjustable range as bespoke baseboard items but just a tad cheaper.

Hope that all helps,

Lindsay

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:26 am

Many thanks Lindsay. These details are just what I needed.

Clive.

iak

Postby iak » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Excellent and heartily appreciated Lindsay.
Food for thought and pondering on.

Sláinte

Robert Fripp

Return to “East of Scotland”