Bristol Group go to Burford

Moderator: Tim V

Tim V

Bristol Group go to Burford

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:15 pm

The intrepid Bristol group headed out over the Cotswolds to Burford, where our Host, Martin Goodall treated us to a visit to his layout.

Must be the right place, as this sign was on Martin's outside wall. This is the real thing!
IMG_5299.JPG

Martin, leaning on his layout. Martin uses a Pictroller.
IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Re: Bristol Group go to Burford

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:55 pm

discarded buildings litter the shelf, these were previous ones, replaced by more appropriate examples.
IMG_5289.JPG

Martin's trying to get everything right and even includes some of Burford's older inhabitants
IMG_5290.JPG

For those of a certain age, here is Martin's previous layout.
IMG_5291.JPG

EU Kit mountain
IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

That distortion is the lens, not Martin's model :D
IMG_5294.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 pm

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG

A Seuthe smoke unit was under this bonfire!
IMG_5287.JPG
Tim V

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:57 am

Looks like a good day out. I'm reassured to see I'm not the only one with stacked boxes containing almost finished; partly finished, and partly started stock.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for posting the pics, Tim, (warts and all, and there are plenty of those on this layout, as is all too painfully evident from the photos).

Now I know what it's like to be the subject of "Candid Camera"!

Incidentally, these are the very last photos to show the station building and train shed in pristine condition. Yesterday evening I got to work with a stiff paintbrush and some real soot and set about weathering these models. They are now beginning to look as though they have been in close proximity to some steam engines for a number of years.

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 am

Ealing wrote:Looks like a good day out. I'm reassured to see I'm not the only one with stacked boxes containing almost finished; partly finished, and partly started stock.

I wish I had some boxes like that (with contents of course), am quite envious ;)

John

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am

I love the way that even the cardboard mock-ups have that golden Cotswold stone feel about them - it all contributes to the strong sense of place, genius loci or topophilia (erudition comes cheap on Wikipedia :x ).

If there is to be a Preservation Society I'll be among the first to join!

Incidentally, I wonder if Martin recognises the chapel hiding behind JB (Jack) Priestley's workshop?

Lane%20End%20Chapel.jpg

It is Burford Chapel, rebuilt in West Riding gritstone. And that's Nora Batty cleaning her front door step.

Ian

essdee

Postby essdee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

Indeed thanks for these pic Tim.

Martin - I see no warts; merely an absolute gem being lovingly crafted and polished........wonderful stuff.

BW

Steve

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 am

[quote="johnlewis"]
I wish I had some boxes like that (with contents of course), am quite envious ;)

the recent posting made me wonder if there is a kit of an outside framed 1880-1900 version toad (Dia AA16 ???) lurking in one of the boxes that could be prised away from the present owner's hands ;)

There was a nice model of such a van in the showcase of the Society stand at Aylesbury but I forgot to ask about it.

John

David B

Postby David B » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:08 am

johnlewis wrote:
the recent posting made me wonder if there is a kit of an outside framed 1880-1900 version toad (Dia AA16 ???) lurking in one of the boxes that could be prised away from the present owner's hands ;)

There was a nice model of such a van in the showcase of the Society stand at Aylesbury but I forgot to ask about it.

That was mine, John. The kit was a D&S which I picked up from Ebay. They crop up from time to time.

There is a facility on Ebay whereby you can be notified if certain terms appear when items are posted. I have got to know about a couple of items this way.

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:24 pm

davidb wrote:
johnlewis wrote:

That was mine, John. The kit was a D&S which I picked up from Ebay. They crop up from time to time.

There is a facility on Ebay whereby you can be notified if certain terms appear when items are posted. I have got to know about a couple of items this way.

Thanks David, I tried a search for D&S Models kits and there is one for a whitemetal kit for NER van, I then noticed a button for 'Follow this Search' which I guess is what you are referring to. I have clicked and hope something will turn out before long

John

David B

Postby David B » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 pm

That's the button.

I found 8 D&S kits but most are GNR and Eastern with one Wisbech and Upwell. Narrow the search to the Collectables category then click on Trains/Railway Models. I put in 'D&S kit'.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:44 am

davidb wrote:
johnlewis wrote:

John and David,

The D&S outside Toad kit is still available fron ABS but you have to decide it you want the one with clasp brakes (diagram AA16) or with push rods.

John if you want an early version you need the push rod one as the diagram AA16 was not issued until September 1919 and the earliest date shown for the fitting of clasp brakes in May 1912 (see John Lewis article in British Railway Journal No.17 Summer 1987).

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 am

dave k wrote:The D&S outside Toad kit is still available fron ABS but you have to decide it you want the one with clasp brakes (diagram AA16) or with push rods.

John if you want an early version you need the push rod one as the diagram AA16 was not issued until September 1919 and the earliest date shown for the fitting of clasp brakes in May 1912 (see John Lewis article in British Railway Journal No.17 Summer 1987).

Thanks Dave, I picked up an ABS catalogue at Scaleforum and have highlighted Ref F.272 in the GWR wagons listing:
(16) GWR Pre Dia 4Wh O/F 18' Brake Van h4
which translates to costing £16, handbrake only with 2 brakeshoes each side with cross shaft linking long RH levers. The Pre Dia Outside framed van fits the type mentioned in the Bridport Branch book which is my 'layout bible'

I would have bought a kit at Aylesbury but I had run out of cash and he doesn't do credit cards. I didn't know these were the D&S kits and there is no mention of this in the catalogue.

Return to “Bristol”