Santa Special

Moderator: Tim V

Bulwell Hall

Santa Special

Postby Bulwell Hall » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I should like to report that today I had an early Christmas present! I was lucky enough to be treated to a ride on the footplate of J15 0-6-0 No.7564 at the Avon Valley Rly. which is currently on loan to the railway for the 'Santa Special' season. It was very kindly arranged by Gordon Ashton (aka steamraiser) who had a driving turn on the engine today and it was a very pleasant way to spend an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon. My thanks go to Gordon for arranging this treat and to all involved in the preservation movement whose efforts make such experiences possible.

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Santa Special

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Hope you had a good day, I thought you might like to see another J15 on the Great Western Watlington Branch at Chinnor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for posting those photos David - they are very interesting. I presume the J15 only went as far as the Cement Works at Chinnor and not right through to Watlington? Where would the J15 have come from? Maybe one day 7564 will go there on loan and the scene in the photos could be recreated.

Gerry

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I think that the j15 did go all the way to Watlington but will find out, I think there was 3 of them based at Aylesbury although I am not too sure they were there at the same time.

David

Return to “Bristol”