EM Flanges on Clutton

Moderator: Tim V

Paul Townsend

Re: EM Flanges on Clutton

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
I reckon you have got things right, but one more thing, have fun and enjoy yourself. :D

Terry Bendall

Here hear.

A word about cant....
Highbridge was built without any intentionally included.
I wish I had included it.

Clutton has lots in the right places and performs better for that.

Both layouts have acquired at various times, bits of undesigned cant. THIS is a bad thing and must be exterminated, and often is with the help of Mike Clarke's gauge or summat similar...there was an article ages ago from ? Ray Hanmmond? on making your own tiltometer...it was OK in places but rather tall and NBG under bridges!

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Possibly Don Rowland's Diplometer, Paul? If so, it was in S4News 142, May 2005, page 14. It's in the S4News Archive.

Dave Reynolds also wrote up a 'track defect detector' on a wagon type chassis in MRJ 57 page 230.

Noel.
Regards
Noel

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Cant in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, at least so long as the stock doesn't fall over. What is bad is twist, i.e. change of cant. Network rail have quite specific rules on how much twist can be allowed in a given length (and one or two derailments have involved an excessive amount of twist)

Allan F

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 pm

If you incoprporate cant in the curves on your layout, then the rolling stock does need to be designed and built to cope with cant.

This was precisely the problem encountered with 'foreign' stock on Heckmondwike.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 am

Noel wrote:Possibly Don Rowland's Diplometer, Paul? If so, it was in S4News 142, May 2005, page 14. It's in the S4News Archive.

Dave Reynolds also wrote up a 'track defect detector' on a wagon type chassis in MRJ 57 page 230.

Noel.

Diplometer it was.

Return to “Bristol”