Bristol Group visit Dean Forest Railway

Moderator: Tim V

Paul Townsend

Bristol Group visit Dean Forest Railway

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 pm

A small but beautifully formed band went to DFR on July 15th.

AP was bemused to find the BR Pannier pulling us about was younger than him!
Birthdays are being counted backwards forthwith.

Robin & host Tim were spotted debating why an LSWR signal at Parkend is on a rly which was joint GW and LMS and when BoT changed level crossing red diamonds to discs.
Aut_6926.jpg

Meanwhile Mrs AP aka Sylvia (extreme left) digests her pub carvery lunch over the Sunday paper.
AUT_6920.JPG

The youthful Pannier arrives to take us back to Norchard where Tim gave us the lowdown on jobs in progress in the workshop with lively comments from bods working there.
The line to piccy right used to feed mine sidings and passed right under the pub window.

AUT_6932.JPG

We all bought some books and in the museum AP found a piccy of a proper loco that used to run on the Severn & Wye...Broad Gauge 0-6-0T "Friar Tuck"

BG Friar Tuck at DFR_DSCN0462.JPG

AP couldn't understand why they have a picture in the museum taken before the 1902 disaster when the BG bridge over River Dart was demolished by drunken naval cadets....must have been hand-tinted!

AUT_6946.JPG

Weather was dry all day...amazing :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Re: Bristol Group visit Dean Forest Railway

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Robin & host Tim were spotted debating why an LSWR signal at Parkend is on a rly which was joint GW and LMS...

It looks to me that the post might be LSWR but the arm and finial are GW...

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 pm

The GW did have lattice posts - which I assume the DFR are trying to replicate. The lattice was different.

What is of note, is that the Discs on the gates shouldn't be there - at least with a signal, as they act as STOP. However, as I inspected the site a couple of weeks ago, the signal is not connected to the box (so should have a cross on it), so the disc does act as a STOP.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 pm

The DFR decided to introduce a number of changes that do not reflect historical accuracy as a result of the recommendations of the official enquiry report from the RAIB following the accident a few years ago.

The Beeb report.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 am

Tim V wrote:The GW did have lattice posts - which I assume the DFR are trying to replicate. The lattice was different.

At the end of our visit, up popped Bob who is resident expert on matters signalling. He told us that GWR had 60 lattice post sigs and this one was recycled from Gloucester docks.

I was especially interested in the base casting to which the 4 angle irons are strapped...must check to see if LSWR lattices used similar before building all the final Highbridge S&DJR signal posts....long awaited to replace plastic temporary ones.

AUT_6923.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paul Townsend on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 am

Russ Elliott wrote:The DFR decided to introduce a number of changes that do not reflect historical accuracy as a result of the recommendations of the official enquiry report from the RAIB following the accident a few years ago.

The Beeb report.

Interesting...I had forgotten about this, but it was mentioned when we commented that it took three hi-vis chaps to open the gates at Parkend to run round the train!

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am

Looks like you had a good trip - I'm sorry that I couldn't make it!

I'm very pleased to see the GWR lattice post signal at Parkend - it wasn't there when I last visited but it really adds to the character of the station. No one has mentioned what looks to be a Midland signal at the other end of the station which reflects the joint GWR/MR nature of the line. If only the Marsh Sidings were still in situ!

Gerry

frizby

Postby frizby » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 am

paultownsend wrote:
Russ Elliott wrote:The DFR decided to introduce a number of changes that do not reflect historical accuracy as a result of the recommendations of the official enquiry report from the RAIB following the accident a few years ago.

The Beeb report.

Interesting...I had forgotten about this, but it was mentioned when we commented that it took three hi-vis chaps to open the gates at Parkend to run round the train!

the RAIB report

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources/08 ... Lydney.pdf

Return to “Bristol”