Bristol Group visit Clutton

Moderator: Tim V

martin goodall

Re: Bristol Group visit Clutton

Postby martin goodall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:00 pm

I started answering Tim's query yesterday, but then lost it when the site stopped working ! (Should have written it off-line and pasted it.)

I have only used Archer's 'rivet' decals on a loco once so far, and not in such a prominent place as the sides of a pannier tank, but I used Solvaset and this seemed to set the decal film down on the surface very firmly, so that the carrier was all but invisible.

My experience so far encourages me to believe that it will be possible to use these decals on a pannier tank without the carrier film showing, and I have a riveted tank on my list of things to do (when I get a round tuit).

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Has anyone tried the micromark version? Is it available in the U.K.? It looks ok and seems much cheaper.

http://www.micromark.com/ho-scale-decal ... ,9968.html
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 am

Wish I had heard of these. The Archer's decals are certainly expensive (and the price went up between my first order and a subsquent order).

The Micromark rivets look even better than the Archer's version (at least in the photo on their website). Archer's, not surprisingly, suggest on their website that we should "accept no substituute" (or words to that effect) and claim that other products are inferior.

If the photos on the Micromark website are to be believed, the carrier film is just visible when the decals are first applied, but this disappears when painted. I discovered with my first experiment that if you use the finest size of Archer's rivetting, the rivets themselves will also disappear under a coat of paint! But then the same applies to riveting on a whitemetal loco kit.

I appreciate that one can order from the US via the internet, but is there a UK importer for Micromark?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:34 am

If you click through to the Micromark instruction sheet it goes into quite a lot of detail in how to make the backing disappear.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:04 pm

A large contingent in the garage, some 14 people (not all are visible) managed to get in -there may have been room for more if some had gone round the back (where I am taking the photo from).

There are two Scale7 modellers, and two EM modellers in there along with the usual crowd!
IMG_1297.JPG

L-R
Richard Lane, Dave Nicholson (S7), Alan Benson (S7) Robin Gay, Eric Gates (EM) Noel Anderson, Karl Crowther (EM), Gordon Ashton, and could be Paul Townsend's hair on the far right!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 pm

I'd have liked to have made it 15 but work had other ideas unfortunately.
Glad there was a good turnout.

Return to “Bristol”