Bristol Group visit Clutton

Moderator: Tim V

Tim V

Bristol Group visit Clutton

Postby Tim V » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Clutton is up in my garage, so with no heating, it's pretty cold. A warming cup of tea/coffee went down well. Gerry's got the cup of cyanide! Paul Hutfield spotted something funny!
IMG_2823.JPG

Ah something peculiar on the layout....
IMG_2821.JPG

A Forest of Dean pannier
IMG_2820.JPG

An escapee from Clinkerford, Paul is the new owner of that layout.
IMG_2822.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Re: Bristol Group visit Clutton

Postby Tim V » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 pm

More refugees from Clinkerford.
IMG_2825.JPG

The long freight is going through, but Richard Lane is struggling with his new smart phone
IMG_2826.JPG

Meanwhile one of the Clutton regulars passes on an Up train
IMG_2827.JPG

And a down train passes over the bridge.
IMG_2856.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Tim V wrote:Clutton is up in my garage, so with no heating, it's pretty cold.

Does your garage have any insulation Tim?
I'm admiring the space I have available in my uninsulated brick/breeze block built garage and wondering if it will be suitable for my layout?
Thanks
Steve
Steve Carter

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Waterloo wrote:
Tim V wrote:Clutton is up in my garage, so with no heating, it's pretty cold.

Does your garage have any insulation Tim?
I'm admiring the space I have available in my uninsulated brick/breeze block built garage and wondering if it will be suitable for my layout?
Thanks
Steve

One other thing to think about is the door...

I'm gradually refurbishing my garage (admittedly mostly for rebuilding motorbikes, not model railways) and one thing that I want that will make a big change is to fit an insulated roller shutter door.

The current up and over door is thin, draughty, and lets leaves and dust blow underneath it. I think that changing it to one that fits snugly to the floor will make a big improvement by reducing the dust and dirt over everything.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Some roof and window insulation would also help to retain the warmer air generated by those present. :D

Gordon A (Who forgot to wear a coat!)
Bristol

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

On cold environments. I've recently brought my diorama 'back in from the cold' from the shed after months there in the depths of winter. I enclose (I hope, not really confident of this) a pic shewing the warping that took place. I did cover the diorama with a serendipitously exact size packing box.
SDC10553small.jpg

The papier mache has shrunk away from the edge and the paper Braithwaite panels have come unstuck but nothing else seems untoward. The diorama is about to be expanded to a 'layout'. I'll have to compromise on the visible length (should be three metres but will now be just over two) and of course will need at least two metres fiddle either side. I plan not to produce those unless I decide to exhibit, so there is no need for my engines to be made to move. The trains will just pose on the layout. This is just as well as I can't get my engines to move faultlessly and so avoiding that expense will be a welcome bonus. If I need to motor them, I will just beg someone with the skills of Philip Hall to do the necessary.

I do admire the Bristol group for making actual real models instead of fictitious stuff (Clutton, Maiden Newton, Highbridge, Rolvenden) - brilliant. I hope to join them one day.

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

There are some nice photos there Tim - I especially like the shot of the 45xx on a Down train crossing the road bridge. From the backscene though it looks like there are storm clouds gathering over Bristol!

Gerry

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

By the way, I'm sorry if I hijacked Tim's thread but I thought the subject of cold environments might be interesting. I didn't keep any stock out in the shed and would be interested to hear Tim's experience in this regard. Do you just don your overcoat, go out there and do they all start up first time, no probs?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 pm

The garage is built of brick and is not insulated. It also leaks! There is a dehumidifier in there. The layout normally lives in the roof space of the garage, under a tarpaulin to keep the dust off, being brought down a couple of times a year for running.

It's a thin metal door, no insulation again, but there is very little gap around it. I have done some work on draught proofing the door.

I have thought of re-roofing the garage to include insulation, but the cost would be a lot. The garage is 27' x 17'.
Tim V

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Tim V wrote:
I have thought of re-roofing the garage to include insulation, but the cost would be a lot. The garage is 27' x 17'.

ISTR it is a pitched house-type roof so how about blocks of foam in between rafters....a 5 minute group project ?

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:23 pm

And my Q about how the working bits perform Tim, (also thanks for info)?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

HowardGWR wrote:And my Q about how the working bits perform Tim, (also thanks for info)?

Sorry, the layout normally lives in the roofspace of the garage and gets brought down for use. The dehumidifier is up in the roof with it. The track needs a normal clean with my usual methods (cotton bud soaked in Slaters track cleaning fluid) before any trains were run. Engines/rolling stock is kept in the house.

The layout has not been used/put up since Scaleforum.

Insulation is not the problem with the garage, it's the poor condition of the roof. Also the concrete floor soaks up energy from my feet - I'm going to get some fatigue mats for the floor tomorrow!
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm pleased to say the fatigue mats have made a huge difference, I can still walk now!
Tim V

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

It's a wonder you Brissle boys have time for any modelling with all the visiting you do! ;)

I'm just jealous - especially as I still miss the place 30 years after I left.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Ealing,
Visiting good curry houses, real ale pubs and supping single malt is also high on our list of things to do, and the occasional bear festival!

Gordon A
Bristol

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I would point out that Tuesday is our regular meeting night, and that tomorrow we will be at Gordon's - eyeing up the completed test track.
Tim V

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 pm

steamraiser wrote: supping single malt is also high on our list of things to do,
Gordon A
Bristol

I seem to have missed that bit, soooooooooo..tomorrow ?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm

"and the occasional bear festival" - is there still baiting in Bedminster?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Quite often. It depends who turns up, really. :)

N
Regards
Noel

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am

Just seen this thread - nice photos, Tim. The trees on the Up (?) platform embankment really look good.

How did you do the riveting on the pannier tank sides, by the way?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:How did you do the riveting on the pannier tank sides, by the way?

They're not rivets: they're Bachmann's overdone weld seams on the tank.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 pm

In fact that is 8744, a riveted pannier. I did it using 5thou plasticard, with the rivets rolled in using a gear wheel, crude I know! I had to remove the top feed pipework from the Bachman model, afterwards putting it back, and constructing new.

The weld lines on the Bachman model are quite crude, and can be completely removed, for smooth sided tanks.
Tim V

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Whoops! My apologies, Tim.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:34 pm

If you want to represent a riveted tank (as on earlier pannier tanks), you can now use the Archer's rivet decals. Not cheap, but much quicker and easier than styrrne sheet overlays, etc. (having first done something about the weld seams first, of course).

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:14 am

martin goodall wrote:If you want to represent a riveted tank (as on earlier pannier tanks), you can now use the Archer's rivet decals. Not cheap, but much quicker and easier than styrrne sheet overlays, etc. (having first done something about the weld seams first, of course).

Interesting, Martin. Is there any visible film from the transfers when used on the loco? I've used Archers rivets on a girder bridge, where the carrier film is 'disguised' by the proximity of the webbing.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Bristol”