Re: Bristol group Activities

Moderator: Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm

The latest area group curry night saw 15 of us at the Curry House, Brislington. I have one very poor picture!

The group continues to meet regularly on Tuesdays, plus social nights.

I believe the next curry night will probably be when we are at Scaleforum.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Richard Lane concentrates at the Southampton Show in January
IMG_0904.JPG

Meanwhile Paul Hutfield looks relaxed before the visitors pour in at Alexandra Palace.
IMG_1016.JPG

Robin Gay, Richard Lane and Gordon Ashton ponder the restoration of the Hereford and Gloucester Canal at Oxenhall Lock, just after our visit to Eileen's Open Day.
IMG_1640.JPG

Where Derek Russan looks pleased relaxing after a burger or two.
IMG_1622.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:39 pm

The new test track at Gordon's needed some attention. A load of joints had come unsoldered, and the track had gone out of gauge.

Only Gordon could lay double track like this (don't ask :? ), P4 on the left and OO on the right with a common middle rail, but it looks like that highly detailed GWR dock shunter may need some attention to the flanges to fit the P4....
IMG_2387.JPG

OK Soldering irons at the ready, but the crew are looking the wrong way :!:
IMG_2389.JPG

That's better, left to right Ashley Phillips, Gordon Ashton (whose loft we are in), Mark Humphrys, Paul Bannerman and Paul Townsend
IMG_2390.JPG

So work being done at last, apart from Gordon who is just bellowing orders, and supposedly sorting out the drinks.
IMG_2386.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

The last time I saw some track with that distance between sleepers it was also double gauge 00/P4 but the trouble was it was all supposed to be EM.. I hope its been resoldered on a hot night and not a cold one!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Last night was a slide show, with a variety of subjects, from diesels in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, steam in the 60s and preservation, foreign railways, and some pictures of when we were young from an open day for the group back in '97 :!:
Tim V

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Many thanks Tim (photos). I now know who Paul Townsend is even though I've spoken to him several times at HMRS meetings. The HMRS people are very friendly but it takes me about a year on average to discover from each, who's who! I shall write off list as I owe him an apology, but I previously didn't know to whom to apologise!

Tim V

Re: Bristol group Activities 5th November!

Postby Tim V » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:58 pm

We had a cracking :!: firework and chilli night at Gerry Beales, huge turnout of members.

Thanks go to Gerry and Linda for hosting the event and our arch pyromaniac Ashley Phillips who lit all the fireworks!
Tim V

Paul Hutfield

Postby Paul Hutfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Excellent updates Tim! Are you sure Richard was concentrating in that first photo though? Looks like he just nodded off to me! :P :twisted:

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm sure he wasn't.

Here is Paul Townsend explaining the finer points of scale modelling to Paul Bannerman and Mark Humphrys.
"First you start with your baseboards".
IMAG0271.jpg

As a Beattie Well Tank goes past.
IMAG0272.jpg
Tim V

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 am

Ta to Mark for loan of his fluffy baseboard.....Well Tank is now runin.....I haven't played trains on the carpet for decades!
It has a slight tight spot as received and still there; quartering suspect, even though it is gear driven on both axles with coupling rods along for the ride.
Next step is to remove coupling rods and fluff from gear train and test run on my 00plank to see if tight spot gone.

The exercise is towards assessing if it is worth trying a simple-ish P4 conversion ( not as easy as the Sentinel) with new wheels in existing chassis or need a new chassis?
In case anyone is wondering how I can justify a Beattie WT at Highbridge in 1913, it is destined for my next model in 1880 mixed gauge, joint LSWR/GWR. Clearly some retro mods will be required to the body, but it will give me something that is slightly relevant to get the new model going. :twisted:

Progress delayed by mislaid roundtuit and distraction by a silly dcc problem in my attempt to make a Pendon style GW railcar with hardboard skid for rail cleaning.
I thought to use a legacy ZTC 203 decoder that was in my box (far too large for my usual small boilered steam locos so untested). The bastard wont program reliably with SprogII (even in "ZTC mode") or MultiMaus. Sod's law dictated that it had no NMRA 8pin plug fitted so was hard wired in. Now need to rip it out and try a modern decoder!

Two steps forward and one back again :shock:

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 am

paultownsend wrote:...Two steps forward and one back again :shock:

Do steps come in any other quantities?

Will

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:42 am

Will L wrote:
paultownsend wrote:...Two steps forward and one back again :shock:

Do steps come in any other quantities?

Will

Oh yes.
Where CSBs and I are concerned, after your S4um tutorial, it is all steps forward (4) and none back (yet !).
Perhaps that is because a certain bod across the pond has failed to seduce me away from 4 axle CSB!

Return to “Bristol”