DCC and wireless control

Moderator: Tim V

Tim V

DCC and wireless control

Postby Tim V » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Last night the group had a technology treat.

By using a standard DCC controller, with computer interface, a laptop and the standard WiFi in the house, we had full remote control using 2 Iphones, an Ipod and an Android phone. Members were able to relax in the comfy chairs, while playing trains on their phones.

Software was JMRI, and no extra hardware was purchased. JMRI is open source as well.

Even the died in the wool DC modellers were claiming "men and their toys" while looking enviously at the ease with which we had full control over the trains. They'll see the light one of these days....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

nigelcliffe

Re: DCC and wireless control

Postby nigelcliffe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Yes, iPhones/Android devices work better than you might imagine as wireless throttles.

The domestic router isn't needed if your laptop runs Windows7. Instead, the free "Connectify" application can achieve the same directly from your laptop.

- Nigel

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

But how do you have a ZTC style lever regulator with a phone?
Button pressing is all very well for selecting addresses but unattractiveto me for driving the selected loco.

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:33 am

paultownsend wrote:But how do you have a ZTC style lever regulator with a phone?
Button pressing is all very well for selecting addresses but unattractiveto me for driving the selected loco.

You use a slider on the phone, see http://withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Home.html . I don't see the point in ZTC style levers as they are a bit old fashioned when changing between locos as they aren't infinite position and you have to reset them for the next loco.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before someone sells an EcoS style unit but headless that you have a web interface on when its connected to your router to configure it and then you just drive on the phone and sort out the routes on a tablet.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 pm

craig_whilding wrote: I don't see the point in ZTC style levers as they are a bit old fashioned ...

The point is that they resemble the control levers to be found on locomotives.
But, each to their own Craig :)
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 pm

LesGros wrote:
craig_whilding wrote: I don't see the point in ZTC style levers as they are a bit old fashioned ...

But, each to their own Craig :)

Yes people have mentioned that before, I never saw the point unless you were playing Rail simulator and its much better to go to a preservation driving day anyway.

If you enjoy pretending its a regulator fair enough.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 pm

craig_whilding wrote
If you enjoy pretending its a regulator fair enough.

Craig,
If your loco DCC parameters are set correctly for the loco type, you do not have to pretend... the lever IS a regulator; just not as big and oily as the one on the preserved railway footplate, which I agree is worth a day visit, if within easy travelling distance.
It is, perhaps, worth noting that when ZTC designed their system, they were modeling steam footplate controls.

I am inclined to think that using an I-phone as a loco regulator is somewhat more of a "pretend", but let us not get too precious about this. :) We are all pretending when we operate/play with a model railway.

regards
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Personally i have seen lots of different styles of control levers on real locomotives, none of which were particularly like the ZTC lever, but its a personal choice. Strangely the only other DCC maker to have gone in that direction is Digitrax who have a similar idea on their Zepher.
Although many have produced bespoke radio handsets which could have such a lever if the makers thought the market wanted it.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:36 pm

The ZTC controller just happens to be the master unit on my layout. Other layouts will have other master controllers.

The Withrottle app is on the phone, and is not dependent on the master. The Iphone/Android functions as a slave controller to whatever master controller you may have. It has a slider, plus a list of the engines. It also has full access to any route setting and point control that is set via DCC.

I think all the DCC suppliers aspire to provide a wireless controller, Bachman produce their Dynamis for example. They all have their problems, for example some use frequencies that are reserved for radio control aircraft, and as such are illegal for use in this country. The Dynamis uses infra-red.

The advantage of this particular set up was that no additional hardware was purchased, and by using normal security on the WiFi, no unauthorised persons can take control of the trains.

At the end of the day it boils down to do you want to control your trains from your phone? In my case, I have 53' of length around the layout. This app means I can walk around with the train under full control. Full control over which loco, speed, direction. Plus point control and onboard uncouplers. Bit of a no brainer!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Tim V wrote:At the end of the day it boils down to do you want to control your trains from your phone?

With the ability to pick up Android devices quite cheaply now it doesn't even need to be your phone. Just leave the sim card out and reserve it for a cheap wireless system for your trainset. Its probably the future rather than systems like the Dynamis as it can be run mainly on the software level over existing hardware making it a much cheaper solution.

The MERG system or maybe a SPROG + booster are two systems that could be used along with a laptop and a smartphone.

Return to “Bristol”