Joint Curry Night

Moderator: Tim V

Tim V

Joint Curry Night

Postby Tim V » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Was held on the evening of the Southampton show, the Bristol and Portchullin teams' made up nine in the curry house. Regrettably the demonstrators from the S4 stand were unable to attend.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Mark Tatlow

Re: Joint Curry Night

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm

A fun evening and fortunately still a clear head in the morning......................

Next outing for me is Railex, with another six P4 layouts there, are any of them up for a joint curry in town?
Mark Tatlow

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Tim V wrote: Regrettably the demonstrators from the S4 stand were unable to attend.

Unfortunately one of the demonstrators on the S4 stand was suffering from a heavy cold for the whole weekend (and still is) and did not feel up to the task of keeping the whole of the Clutton and Portchullin teams in order so that they were sober enough to play with their train sets the next day :D

However the evening of Saturday 24th September 2011 could be another matter especially if Tim V is buying the drinks.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Can I claim it out of the society's expenses?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Tim V wrote:Can I claim it out of the society's expenses?

Or put it another way, 1,848 Scalefour Society members buy Tim a drink ;-)

Actually [paging Mr Cockling!] that number is very, very close to the Society's Prime Number...

Could we have some form of recognition for the person that becomes our 1883rd concurrent member?

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 am

Flymo748 wrote:Actually [paging Mr Cockling!] that number is very, very close to the Society's Prime Number...
Could we have some form of recognition for the person that becomes our 1883rd concurrent member?
Flymo

It is indeed and that sounds like a good idea, however it's not necessarily as simple as it sounds. With one month to go before the end of the membership year I cheerfully expect/hope us to be around the 1860 mark, maybe a little less by February 28th and that will mean that we will have around 30 members more than at the last membership year end.

What happens next is that the total number will drop on the first day of the new membership year (1st March) when all those that have notified me that they won't be renewing will cease to be members; at the moment that's 15. From then until 31st May hopefully more people will join, so numbers will rise, but in all probability we will lose some to the great MRC in the sky, and some more will say that they aren't renewing. On balance then during those three months numbers will rise, but not by much, so by the end of May we can expect to be back a little above 1860, perhaps 1865.

The 31st May is always the date of our highest total of the year, because on 1st June, any members that still haven't paid their subs cease to be members and so 1st June is always the date of our lowest total of the year. In 2009 we went from 1822 to 1723 (-99) and in 2010 we went from 1833 to 1762 (-71). Of course we immediately get some of those back as late renewers and I make one last attempt to contact those that haven't paid; this does pay off as ultimately last year we only lost 48 lapsed not 71.

From June to February we then steadily gain new members, minus any deaths, working towards our year end figure, which if we're lucky and we have as good a year as the present, might just take us to and a maybe a little beyond that 1883 number, only to drop again on 1st March 2012. That's the annual cycle.

So there won't be 1883 now until next year at best and it might be reached more than once in the same year, or even the same month.

An example of this phenomenon occurred in January just ended when we reached 1849 three times. On 18th Jan someone joined, taking us from 1848 to 1849; on 24th Jan I was notified of the death of a member, back down to 1848; someone else joined on 27th Jan, back up to 1849; on 29th January another death, back down to 1848 and then on 30th Jan someone else joined taking us back to 1849 again; where we are today.

So far in the almost 35 year history of the Society (Happy 35th Birthday Scalefour Society on 14th February) 5593 numbers have been issued (1001-6593) Member no 1883 was Brian Lee who joined in 1979 but hasn't been a member since 1987, but the actual 1883rd member (no 2883) was Dr P Flowerday who joined in 1983 and is still a member today.

My Annual membership report will be in the May edition of Scalefour News, along with some lovely graphs that will hopefully make things nice and clear.

All the Best
Danny

Return to “Bristol”