Exactoscale fasttrack bases - over gauge?

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Triode

Exactoscale fasttrack bases - over gauge?

Postby Triode » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:07 am

Hi all,

I've just started laying some of the above and have found that the gauge measures more like 19.0mm than 18.83mm. Likewise the gauge-widened version (which I also have a pack of) measures 19.2 or thereabouts.

It would seem that the relationship between normal and gauge-widened fasttrack bases is correct, but that both are circa 0.2mm over gauge.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, has it caused any issues? So far I've only laid a plain straight track with no turnouts which seems to run fine, but I'd be concerned about transitions from this fasttrack to turnouts built with Society gauges. Could these cause issues with the transition being too abrupt?

Cheers,

Liam

garethashenden

Re: Exactoscale fasttrack bases - over gauge?

Postby garethashenden » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Is it overgauge with rails or without? The 1:20 cant may bring it in gauge at the top, I’m not sure.

Triode

Postby Triode » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

garethashenden wrote:Is it overgauge with rails or without? The 1:20 cant may bring it in gauge at the top, I’m not sure.

With rail. It isn't just down to my cheapy Aldi calipers either - the Society 18.83 track gauge is a loose, rattling fit.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Triode wrote:Hi all,
Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, has it caused any issues? So far I've only laid a plain straight track with no turnouts which seems to run fine, but I'd be concerned about transitions from this fasttrack to turnouts built with Society gauges. Could these cause issues with the transition being too abrupt?
Cheers,
Liam

The answer to that is not to make the transition abrupt. Just widen out the gauge on the turnout over the last couple of sleepers so it matches the Fasttrack, it won't cause a problem.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:53 pm

I have a fair size continuous run laid exclusively with FastTrack in the 'visible' sections and running has been excellent, even at some considerable speeds with rigid stock and engines. I used both standard and gauge widened bases and found that generally the standard ones were 18. 9 and the widened ones - used on track 1400mm radius or under - were 19.1 or thereabouts. Rail was some quite old EMGS nickel silver rail which fitted the chairs much more easily than some of the new rail available. Some odd bases had a tendency for the cant to lean the same way on both rails (!) but in practice this doesn't notice and makes no difference to the running. Pointwork is ply and rivet and rails there are vertical. You really can't tell from even close up, so I don't worry about the cant at all.

When joining widened bases to standard the practice has been to fit a few widened sleepers into the end of a standard length (or the other way around) so that the rail has a continuous transition rather than the slight step. All are joined together with the new Peco Bullhead fishplates with linking wires across the joint to prevent voltage drop.

My FastTrack is of a certain age although there have been some newer mouldings used. I think the slight differences you describe will not make any practical difference. Levels and smooth transitions are more important.

Philip

Triode

Postby Triode » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 am

Thanks all.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”