LSWR, 14" Turnout timbering from Stores

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
essdee

LSWR, 14" Turnout timbering from Stores

Postby essdee » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am

'Morning all,

I am intending to order from Jeremy a batch of the above14" ply timbering, which is currently Out Of Stock. I wanted to check the packet size/contents before ordering, and phoned this morning to check this and the re-stock status, but no answer just now.

Before I try Jeremy again, it occurred to me that some kind user of these items could advise me of the size of the BSS 14 packet contents, so that I can order accordingly?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Steve

stephenfreeman

Re: LSWR, 14" Turnout timbering from Stores

Postby stephenfreeman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:34 pm

Good Afternoon,

I prefer to use the scale thickness timbering myself so rarely purchase the thinner variety. I normally get the thicker variety from Tim Horn, I think he supplies Stores so you could try him if all else fails. Whilst I can't remember the number of strips in a packet from stores offhand, I would think that one packet will be all that you need as of course not all timbers were 14 inches.

I know that Brian Lewis (TimberTracks) does 14 inch wide timbers in 4mm scale but am not sure what thickness they are. Having checked I think they are 0.8mm at least the other sizes are. So you could order from Brian.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:45 pm

It is too late now for my layout, but on the GWR where the switch toes were connected to a facing point lock, there was a sole plate under the toes mounted on a 14-inch timber. I have a vague idea that the crossing nose was also mounted on a 14-inch timber, but would have to check my memory on this.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi Steve
The 14'' sleepers come in packs of 24 and are made by EBMA they should be on my next order
Jeremy
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:48 am

Many thanks gents,
Jeremy, I will keep an eye on the Stores status meanwhile, and Stephen thanks for the extra pointer, I will go and see what they have as well.
Martin, it looks like I will have colliery sidings employing the 14" timbers extensively (1891 and earlier type turnouts), as well as main line re-layings with just a single 14" timber at the tip and two at the crossing. What with 24, 30 and 45ft rail lengths, it all adds to the interest!

I was lucky enough to talk and correspond with Derek Genzel at length, some 20 years ago - a real mine of information and enthusiasm!

Cheers,

Steve

Return to “Track and Turnouts”