Rail Profile

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
billbedford

Rail Profile

Postby billbedford » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Has anyone a dimensioned drawing of the profile of the rail that the stores sell?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Rail Profile

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:29 pm

billbedford wrote:Has anyone a dimensioned drawing of the profile of the rail that the stores sell?

Bill,

I've asked the Committee. That's possibly the quickest way to find out. There may be a specification supplied to/by the company that draws the rail for us, the EMGS and others.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:55 pm

billbedford wrote:Has anyone a dimensioned drawing of the profile of the rail that the stores sell?

Bull head or flat bottom rail Bill?

Terry Bendall

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:

Bull head or flat bottom rail Bill?

Terry Bendall

Bullhead, 96lb if there's a choice.

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:58 pm

I know James Moorhouse was doing work on comparing available rail profiles, he might have something of use for you Bill.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:35 pm

The nickel Silver Society Bull head rail Measurements are as follows
Height 1.95mm
Width of head .95mm
Width of base .95mm
Thickness of head.61mm
Thickness of Base .44mm
Between head and base .91mm
Thickness of centre 0.45mm
Only had time to measure one length of rail not done the steel but it should be pretty similar as they are both drawn from the same die.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 am

During my time as the track assembler at C+L, I did find it necessary to carry out random quality control checks on new batches of rail to confirm not just dimensional accuracy but profile as well. I found some inconsistency over time which was put down to wear and tear of the dies. Looking at it end on, it was sometimes possible to see a minor deformity in the symmetry even with the naked eye. But the most significant failure was when a professional track builder returned 100m of code 125 bullhead rail for 7mm work saying it was rippled. Random sampling of a recently delivered 25kg batch confirmed this. Running a length of rail between finger and thumb, there was a distinct rhythmic variation in height with a wavelength of around 6 inches. (150mm). The whole batch had to be scrapped and replaced free of charge by our suppliers Wintwire. That was explained away as a lack of consistent tension in the wire as it was drawn. Definitely worth a bit of close scrutiny before you commit to that complex pointwork.

Roy

Return to “Track and Turnouts”