Red Arrow to Bodmin

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Martin Wynne

Red Arrow to Bodmin

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:05 pm

I've mentioned that the 3D export from Templot can also include 3D-printed non-metallic rails. For battery operation with remote control.

No filing, cutting or bending of rail. No track wiring. Just print some track, stick it down and run trains over it. :)

Here's a fascinating video (first 15 minutes) from 2006 showing an 0 gauge model of Bodmin using the Red Arrow infra-red control system. The track is actually metal, but it didn't need to be, there is no wiring to it. The railway is fully signalled and operated with a lever frame and block instruments.

Food for thought?

https://player.vimeo.com/video/455858581

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Alan Turner

Re: Red Arrow to Bodmin

Postby Alan Turner » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am

Unfortunately many of the links to Help topics are broken in Templot - giving the usual 404.

So it is difficult to evaluate at the moment.

regards

Alan

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:40 am

Thanks for the link Martin.
I recall that Don Rowland was working with Red Arrow many moons ago, and there was a minor issue with the line-of-sight needed between the original transmitter and the receiver in the loco. The use of radio to drive a transmitter to a series of i.r LEDs distributed around the layout was a great idea!
For 4mm scale the 9v battery was difficult to locate other than in a large tender, and that is now solved by the range of LiPo batteries with integral protection circuits that are now available, along with tiny voltage boosters from Pololu if higher than 6 volt motors are used.
I have just learned, and am pleased to report to members that the DT range of radio receivers is back and available from Micron Radio Control again after a long oos situation, so I hope to offer what I intended to show at the AGM on here under the 5volt railway topic.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:02 am

Alan Turner wrote:Unfortunately many of the links to Help topics are broken in Templot - giving the usual 404.
So it is difficult to evaluate at the moment.

Hi Alan,

If you are asking about the DXF exports, see: viewtopic.php?p=85148#p85148

If you mean some other link, please post it here so that I can fix it. Templot recently moved servers and I'm slowly getting everything working again. Sorry about any inconvenience.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”