MR INTERLACED TURNOUTS

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
colinglenister

MR INTERLACED TURNOUTS

Postby colinglenister » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 pm

I'm building a layout based loosely on MR practice around the Grouping. I have included a 3 way turnout (A5 & B6) as a feature (I read somewhere they were often used by the MR)

should i interlace the sleepers? If so are there any drawings/photos showing typical interlacing?

bécasse

Re: MR INTERLACED TURNOUTS

Postby bécasse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:00 pm

I would be quite surprised if it were possible to interlace the sleepers on a tandem turnout, fitting all the sleepers in was a distinct challenge on a normal interlaced turnout.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm

You need to distinguish between 3-way turnouts and Tandem turnouts.
3 way turnouts have the two sets of blades superimposed and of a special design, they were common on the MR and on the GER but only in yards. Tandem turnouts have thw two sets of blades seperated so one starts at the heel of the other, these were common on all Uk railways and you can still find them.
If you are planning A5 and B6 then it would be a Tandem, not a 3-way but still a small size suitable for yards only. As bacasse says interlacing is highly unlikely on any form of 3-way or Tandem but was not favoured by the MR anyway.

PS, Interlacing is used two ways, usually to refer to turnouts usning interlaced sleepers instead of long timbers but also can be used as an alternative name to Tandem.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Cram

Postby Paul Cram » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:29 am

Many years ago Slaters produced some templates of Midland Railway interlcaed points. We have used interlaced points on Hawes and Some of the Templates were drawn by Len Newman using Source material. Unfortunaely Len isn't well at the moment and I don't know what happened to the template drawings as they were done in the ealy 90s before he sold C&l..

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 am

The original P4 templates included 3-way points as well as Tandems, but none with interlaced sleepers.
I think the drawings available from NERA include turnouts with interlaced sleepers for the North Eastern.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:24 am

whilst directed at 7mm scale, you may find MRJ issue 22 and 23 articles by Bob Essery of help/interest. Does seem to indicate that Slaters might be able to supply templates. ~Just checked - Slaters just do some for 7mm scale.

colinglenister

Postby colinglenister » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:41 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:You need to distinguish between 3-way turnouts and Tandem turnouts.
3 way turnouts have the two sets of blades superimposed and of a special design, they were common on the MR and on the GER but only in yards. Tandem turnouts have thw two sets of blades seperated so one starts at the heel of the other, these were common on all Uk railways and you can still find them.
If you are planning A5 and B6 then it would be a Tandem, not a 3-way but still a small size suitable for yards only. As bacasse says interlacing is highly unlikely on any form of 3-way or Tandem but was not favoured by the MR anyway.

PS, Interlacing is used two ways, usually to refer to turnouts usning interlaced sleepers instead of long timbers but also can be used as an alternative name to Tandem.

Keith. It's a tandem turnout. Glad interlacing will not be appropriate.

Brian Eves

Postby Brian Eves » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 am

I had a look throw my archives and found these two drawings.
I'm not sure they'll answer your question but have a look anyway.
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:33 pm

I don't remember seeing any interlaced ones. The last one on the mainline I saw was at Derby Etches Park before it was remodelled a few years ago. I have seen a 4 way at Brighton in the 20's.I believe the term for the ones with the blades "superimposed" is Threee Throw, the others being Three Way or Tandem. There is one in the yard at Butterley which I believe came from the NCB originally. The tie bar for one set of blades fits through a hole in the other blades ! Try that in P4 ! There was one at Embsay but they removed it early on in preservation.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm

The three throw drawing does show up the intricacy of the switch rail planing.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:10 pm

20210403_143912.jpg
Sorry it's dark The board is packed away. I don't seem to be able to rotate it either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:34 pm

20210403_143912.jpg
this help?

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks 1

Return to “Track and Turnouts”