Wing rail to vee assembly jig

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
BRIDGEMAN

Wing rail to vee assembly jig

Postby BRIDGEMAN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Can anybody help? I purchased a wing rail to vee assembly jig ( manufactured by Portsdown Models) from the scalefour stores many years ago but had no instruction sheet. Is a copy available on the Web site and where could I find it? Many thanks, Ray.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Wing rail to vee assembly jig

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:32 pm

I am not aware of any such instructions, nor do I have any idea what this Jig looks like, could it have been written up in Scalefour News?
If you can post a pic of it, or a description, we may well be able to work out how to use it, or find a reference.
I have always managed OK with a flangeway gauge and a straightedge.

The Scalefour News index brings up issue 147 for a crossing assembly jig, and it looks like this, do you have something similar?
jig-1.jpg

Regards
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I checked an old S4 price list (07/98!) I don't know why I keep this stuff!

The Portsdown jig was produced by the EMGS, their sheet 1.2.1(2) is the fact sheet.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

waldo

Postby waldo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Wing Rail to V assembly jig

Apologies this is the first time I used the S4Webforum so here goes.The Jig described in SN147 appears to use 3 No crossing flangeway gauges that have to be cut to allow the metal strips supporting the final assembly to be placed to match the Pointwork timbering. These gauges are clamped between to aluminium channels to form the complete jig. I do not think that this was ever produced as an assembled item for purchase or indeed as a kit of parts.

The Portsdown jig is available from the EMGS stores (it was about £10). I have one but have never used it like the original author. Having measured the thickness of the "working" part of the jig it is less than the correct crossing flangeway clearance (CF) of 0.65 -0.68mm on my example. You may be able to get the instructions by emailing at portsdownmodels@ntlworld.com if they still exist! The problem with this gauge as far as I can see is that it does not set the correct CF where the S4 one would, but it is already assembled or you can (could ?) get the metal work separately and make a suitable mounting. I have seen this one demonstrated and it looked very useful.

I have never used either of these jigs but am soon to have a shot at making a turnout so I have looked at everything that is likely to aid an ageing unsteady hand!!

Unfortunately I cannot copy the Portsdown instructions because they are copyright. If you do not have any luck with the email address come back and I will give you the last known address so that you can try and contact them by snail mail alternatively you could get in touch with the EMGS.

Hope this helps

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Having measured the thickness of the "working" part of the jig it is less than the correct crossing flangeway clearance (CF) of 0.65 -0.68mm on my example.

That is actually an advantage as it makes it much easier to get the crossing off the gauge to change positions and also when complete. The jig is not used to set the CF directly you need a loose CF gauge for that. The jig keeps the running edges in line whilst you are soldering.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

BRIDGEMAN

Postby BRIDGEMAN » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks to everybody who has replied.I must have bought it at Expo EM and not Scaleforum, memory-age syndrome.Having found the instructions in the E M manual and proceeded to make some crossing Vee's, found the jig very useful except for the C.F. clearance being tight.However this does not seem to affect anything running over the crossing.
Ray.

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm

I have just about finished constructing the last of twenty flatbottom turnouts for my staging yards and although I used the fast tracks jigs for the vee and rail web grinding, I hadn't realized that there was a UK jig around for assembly of the wing rail and vee! Having found the hardest alignment of all is aligning the stock rail part of the wing rail to the vee, this might have saved a lot of angst.

However, I haven't seen a P4 version around. Any advice please.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 am

JF, send Dr Michael Godfrey a PM he will give you a run down. I say that as he uses the jig to produce S4 trackwork which is beautiful. He can explain how to do things. Having seen his track (only on Saturday at the area group meeting) I am trying to figure out how to arm twist him into building the trackwork for my layout that I am thinking up :twisted:!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “Track and Turnouts”