Tie bars and FPLs in 1930s SR

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
nberrington

Tie bars and FPLs in 1930s SR

Postby nberrington » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 pm

As I ponder detailing trackwork on my rendition of Swanage, I have begun considering modelling the facing point locking devices on the layout. There are a few of them on the 1960s signal diagram I have. I’ve gone to the trouble of modelling the trap points, so may as well at least represent the FPLs.

So I land up the two questions. If anyone can help out, that would be appreciated.

1) I gather original LSWR tie bars for the turnout blades were round bars. The photos I have from the 60s show the flat bat variety at Swanage. Does anyone know when the switch occurred? We’re the round tie bars still round in the 30s?

2) When was FPL introduced on the Southern? I’d hate to go to the trouble of representing them only to later find out I’m way off.

I have read as much as I can lay my hands on (including the great little book on point rodding by the 2mm Society) but have trouble dating these things.

bécasse

Re: Tie bars and FPLs in 1930s SR

Postby bécasse » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:06 pm

FPLs were effectively made compulsory for existing installations by the 1889 Act (although railways were given a few years' grace to actually do the work) and they had been required in new work since the early 1870s. The LSWR was one of the most compliant railways so far as conforming to BoT ideals was concerned, probably because of the amount of military traffic it carried, and probably had little remedial work to do.

The Southern Railway extensively upgraded Swanage station in 1938, one of the last of such schemes to be implemented by the SR, and it seems unlikely that any LSWR p&c remained subsequently except perhaps in the goods sidings (which would have utilised secondhand materials as per standard SR practice but wouldn't have had any FPLs of course).

Return to “Track and Turnouts”