3-foot radius curves in P4

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Will L

Re: 3-foot radius curves in P4

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 am

I the 1970s when I was an innocent in the land of track gauges and had no connection with movers and shakers of the hobby, beyond what you could read in the Mags, we built a layout using gauges and track components provided by Kings Cross Models, which, before I relocating north, was conveniently on my commute home. The pointwork I built was significantly finer looking than the OO (PECO) norm and much RTR stock would not run through it. As most of the stock was kit built this didn't bother us much. I was aware that we used 1mm flange ways but I always assumed the gauge was 16.5. Is it likely that I was mistaken?

The layout was called Grinding Hault and was on the exhibition circuit for 16 years mostly in the north midlands and the north west. The finer appearance of the pointwork meant we were regularly mistaken for EM and even, occasional, P4.
Edited to remove the confusion obvious in my own mind.
Last edited by Will L on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: 3-foot radius curves in P4

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:03 pm

I expect that was normal 00 fine at 16.5. The Problem with that is the need for a wider back to back than that offered by RTR. Hence the 16.2 is to get the finer flangeways and still allow use of RTR. I don't think that 16.2 was in the picture in KX Models days, and the RTR was not what we have today either.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”