T.W. Ward - Rails and Rail Accessories

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Wizard of the Moor

T.W. Ward - Rails and Rail Accessories

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Whilst sorting through some stuff, I found this brochure from Thomas W Ward. I think it's from 1964, so I assume that there are no copyright issues. However, If anyone objects then please let me know and I'll remove it.

Whilst it's aimed at companies wanting to lay in private sidings, rather than main line practice, there is a lot of information in here that is useful to modellers. There are lots of drawings and tables of dimensions, for example.

The file has been converted to the lowest resolution that was available to me. If anyone would like the original 120MB high-resolution file then feel free to send me a message and I'll forward it on. I hope that other members find it useful.

twwardgroup_rails_and_rail_accessories_1964.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Dickie

My workbench

dal-t

Re: T.W. Ward - Rails and Rail Accessories

Postby dal-t » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Fascinating document, many thanks for posting. While I wait for the fall-out from those who will undoubtedly blow a gasket or two that the double-checked track is defined by track gauge and flangeway clearance, I'm just musing on whether I can now stop feeling so guilty for building my EM track that way for years, before I switched to P4 and discovered the mantra of the check rail gauge ...
David L-T

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:40 pm

dal-t wrote:.. I wait for the fall-out from those who will undoubtedly blow a gasket or two that the double-checked track is defined by track gauge and flangeway clearance, I'm just musing on whether I can now stop feeling so guilty for building my EM track that way for years, before I switched to P4 and discovered the mantra of the check rail gauge ...

Well, I don't think anyone will because that would be absolutely correct for double-checked track - only check rails for crossings are defined by check guage. Equally, in EM you can do pretty much anything and get away with it - the first EM layout I knew was built using nothing more than a pair of wheels for a guage and had FB rail Evo-stuck to the sleepers - it worked as well (or as badly) as any!

Excellent publication - a lot of interesting stuff in there, not least the references to MR items - many thanks for posting James.

Best Wishes,

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Very similar information is within my hard-back book from Grant-Lyon (a competitor no doubt).
img468.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Interesting publication. I can admit that I have learned at least one thing from it - I never knew that chairs for FB rail were/are available.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:58 pm

NB. Its only slide chairs that are shown for FB, all the rest of the FB fittings are called baseplates as usual.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:18 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:NB. Its only slide chairs that are shown for FB, all the rest of the FB fittings are called baseplates as usual.

Bottom of page 8 shows an FB chair Keith. Not described as a slide chair.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Enigma wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:NB. Its only slide chairs that are shown for FB, all the rest of the FB fittings are called baseplates as usual.

Bottom of page 8 shows an FB chair Keith. Not described as a slide chair.

BTW, it all takes a long time to download on my computer!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Hm, missed that, and they call it a common chair, more like uncommon. I don't think such were every used on the main line and I would be surprised to see tm in industrial areas as they must add a lot of cost for nothing. Notice also that the rails would be vertical so no discernable benefit over a simple steel sheet baseplate.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”