'Y' Turnout

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
RAO

'Y' Turnout

Postby RAO » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to find a 'Y' turn out?
Or has in been discussed before?
Thanks
PS I've tried Templot

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: 'Y' Turnout

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 pm

RAO wrote:Can anyone point me in the correct direction to find a 'Y' turn out?
Or has in been discussed before?
Thanks
PS I've tried Templot

I'm sure that "Y" turnouts have been discussed before on the Templot Forum. I'm not sure if it's been discussed here - unfortunately the search engine here discards single characters, so I can't search on "Y turnout".

Anyway, yes, it can be done in Templot. One of the members of the CHEAG area group was after a B6 Y turnout, so I rattled one up for him. The files are attached, as the Templot BOX file and as a pdf file.

There will be someone along shortly to say (IIRC) that true Y turnouts don't occur in nature, and we should be sceptical about using them, but Rule #1 always applies.

HTH
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm

If I was making one and hadn't got a template, I would get two straight turnout templates with the 2 curved roads equivalent to the curved roads of the 'Y' turnout, superimpose one on top of the other and ignore the centre tracks. This sounds to simple though - doesn't it? :?

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:22 pm

I expect Paul has given all the info needed.

But in case not -

Have a look near the bottom of the page, instructions from Martin how to do it in Templot.

viewtopic.php?t=6958&start=25

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 pm

I have found this old scruff video clip, showing the basics of a symmetrical Y-turnout in Templot:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx ... vZws7U2yA2

But very often when folks are asking for a Y-turnout all they really need is an ordinary turnout with a bit of contraflexure. Just use the F6 mouse action and bend an ordinary turnout in the opposite direction from the hand. If it's for a yard or diverging sidings, change the V-crossing to curviform.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:36 am

Digest sheet 23.6.3 available at https://www.scalefour.org/members/digests/#23 or for those who have it, on the CD given to you when you joined includes notes on building curved turnouts, including a Y turnout. (Halfway down page 4, LH column.)

Terry Bendall

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Digest sheet 23.6.3 available at https://www.scalefour.org/members/digests/#23 or for those who have it, on the CD given to you when you joined includes notes on building curved turnouts, including a Y turnout. (Halfway down page 4, LH column.)

Hi Terry,

As described, that creates an ordinary single-sided turnout with contraflexure. The switch deflection is on one side only. To produce such a template in Templot takes about 2 seconds simply to set the curving radius negative in a standard turnout. That's the correct type of turnout to use on the inside of a curved crossover, as suggested there, and generally in running lines.

But it's not a Y-turnout in the normal sense, which requires a switch deflection on both sides, with the angle halved each way (or sometimes other than a 50-50 split). Such turnouts are quite rare on the prototype, and normally found only in yards and sidings. If used in a running line they require a speed restriction over both routes, and are found only on specially constructed long main-line junctions.

Although there is no specific function in Templot to create a split-deflection switch, it is quite easy to improvise one as shown in that old video clip. I get asked about that so often that I'm going to add a tools > make function in the next program update to improvise such a Y-turnout automatically.

Alternatively, a proper prototypical Y-turnout can be built up from partial templates by experienced Templot users.

For years I have been intending to do a complete re-write of the template generator engine to permit splitting of the switch deflection, but it would be a major task and I fear it is now too late. But the open-source version of Templot is available for anyone who wants to have a go at it.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

RAO

Postby RAO » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Thank you all very much for your prompt replies. I certainly have enough information now to sort something out.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”