curved platforms

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
bordercollie

curved platforms

Postby bordercollie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:11 am

Hi
I am planning to design a slight curve in my station platform. I am working on the assumption that none of the coaches will be more than 60'. I want the gaps between coach and platform edge to look reasonable. What mimimum radius of curve is recommended?

bécasse

Re: curved platforms

Postby bécasse » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:56 am

I believe that the sharpest curve on a passenger line in the UK was around 3½ chains radius either side of the S-shaped island platform at Sutton Bridge on the erstwhile Midland & Great Northern, and was subject to a 5 mph speed limit. That equates to 924 mm in 4 mm scale or almost exactly three feet.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:26 am

I used the facility in Templot for the track plan to draw in the platform edges for my platforms which are all curved. Thus far it has worked though clearance for outside cylinder GWR locos is very tight. My platforms are on an overall transition curve though the tightest radius will be somewhere between 6 and 5 feet.

kelham

Postby kelham » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Wouldn't it make sense to lay the track first, then make the platforms fit using your longest coach to check the clearance?

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 am

Hi
I am trying to produce plans using Templot.

I tried the dummy carriage function but I can see any warning when curve becomes to severe even when I go to ridiculously small radii. I think that at some stage when doing something else there was some mention of a warning light, but I can not find it. I will get an answer on the Templot forum I hope.

philchudley

Postby philchudley » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:55 am

The warning radius you refer to in Templot is displayed in the current template information Panel, and updates when you change the radius

The threshold value below which the warning is displayed is set in the Scale settings

If the information panel is not displayed during template modification it can be made visible by pressing F2

Hope this helps
Phil

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

IIRC the default setting for P4 minimum radius in Templot is 1000mm. Below this you get the warning.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:28 pm

kelham wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to lay the track first, then make the platforms fit using your longest coach to check the clearance?

This does make sense but assumes you have your longest coach already which I didn't when I planned and built my layout. I have some 70 footers in the to-do pile which may prove a challenge though one platform is yet to be permanently fixed for obvious reasons.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:59 pm

bordercollie wrote:I am trying to produce plans using Templot. I tried the dummy carriage function but I can see any warning when curve becomes to severe even when I go to ridiculously small radii. I think that at some stage when doing something else there was some mention of a warning light, but I can not find it. I will get an answer on the Templot forum I hope.

Hi,

There isn't a warning for vehicle clearance. It's up to you to decide how tight to make the clearance:

1. set the dummy vehicle dimensions....

2. roll it along the template, or generate a full envelope (yellow/violet band).

3. set a suitable dimension for the platform front edge spacing..., to clear. There isn't currently a mouse action adjustment for that, I will look at adding one.

p.s. Note that when adjusting the front edge, the platform width remains unchanged. So the rear edge moves also. Set the front edge before setting the width.

Ask again on Templot Club if you need more explanation.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”