Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Julian Roberts

Re: Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh - curved irregular slip

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:28 pm

6 wheel parcels van, no problems on this curved slip.

3 wagons propel Crab loco and tender (gearbox disconnected) which weighs a good 7 or 800g. My hand causes the only derailment near the end, steering the wagon the wrong road. Edit - The curve is such that only 2 buffers are in contact between each propelled vehicle

In spite of warnings that propelled small wheeled goods vehicles are the problem, testing has shown no wagon problems, and only one derailment, on my one loco that has a slightly overgauge front wheelset.

I've tested every loco in each direction with the driving wheels in four different positions, starting on the central timber. On the Class 782 In just one driving wheel position the derailment happens, at one place. This loco has, for a shunting engine, a long wheelbase, but plenty of sideplay is built in. However the front wheels are overgauge, up to about 17.82 at their widest point. Edit - rather horrified that I didn't notice the front step has broken. I spent hours on that!

However, this has been cured to the extent that the loco now makes a discernible clunk (turn the volume up to max) but does not derail, by adjusting the checkrails to a narrower flangeway gap. I don't have an S4 gauge (0.58), but the back of a Stanley knife blade is 0.60. A sharp bend of the checkrail as Dave B recommended (I see Tony Wilkins suggests the same) caused a perceptible lurch at this narrower setting, but bent over a say 4mm drill shank this arrangement seems to work OK for all the stock, with no downside. This is despite quite a few of my loco wheels being under the recommended 17.67 narrowest BB setting. They are not adjustable as I used Araldite when putting them together, and it is simply by accident they are set too narrow, as is the case with the 782 being too wide.

I was expecting these inadvertantly narrow wheelsets to have problems on this diamond, but this has not been the case, even with the adjusted checkrails. Even my narrowest wheelset, at one point in the revolution being 17.47, shows no issue.

The narrower setting for the checkrails makes the wagons harder to steer the wrong way by hand, though it is still possible.

During a week of testing I found, thanks to Martin's help, that the single slip is a regular 1:8 straight. https://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php? ... 526#p31526

So now I'm in a dilemma. The crossing works fine - but will it with larger locos I hope to make, including a WD 2-10-0? Will the angle of incidence become a problem where it has not so far? A 1 in 8 straight crossing will not have any such problem - but means starting again, as well as needing to be designed to fit in with the neighbouring turnout which is already constructed.

A dummy vehicle, compensated of course, has been made to the WD wheelbase, plus about 3 mm to approximate the length over flanges with bigger wheels, and shows no desire to go the wrong way, but can be persuaded to, rather more easily than the short wagons.

More exciting :cry: :ugeek: videos of the Crab on the diamond at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgA4F5 ... subscriber
Last edited by Julian Roberts on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony Wilkins

Re: Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:31 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:
Tony Wilkins wrote:Point rails for obtuse crossings should never get that thin. 0.1mm or 4 thou is thin enough for me rather than the normal 0.25mm. Martin. Thanks for republishing this information. I have taken the liberty of copying the data into my track construction thread (with acknowledgements) so it is available there too.

Hi Tony,

Normal for REA bullhead blunt point rails is 1/2" nose = 0.17mm , rather than the 3/4" (0.25mm) for blunt vee nose. (GWR is 11/16" for both.)

You are welcome to the info -- it's actually in the K-crossing help notes in Templot, and has been there for about 20 years. :)

cheers,

Martin.

This reply is a bit out of sequence now, but I would just like to clarify that I don't normally use a 0.1mm thin / thickness point rail nose but in exceptional circumstances where one is fighting the odds then I will do so.

My 1956 copy of the P way handbook states that for bullhead rail the blunt nose of an obtuse point rail 3/4" wide same as for the vee nose, but notes that It was the practice of some railways to plane the point rails of 6 1/2, 7, 7 1/2 and 8 obtuse crossings to a nose of 1/2". So you pays your money and takes your choice.
For Flat bottom rail it is stated as 1/2 " 'to reduce as much as possible the long gap which exists between the two point rails of an obtuse crossing.' (Page 106) Common crossing noses are 5/8" for flat bottom rather 3/4" for Bullhead. Flat bottom P&C is a whole new ball game.

Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Although the irregular curved single slip basic diamond works perfectly for all my stock I reluctantly decided to redesign it as a regular straight slip. The other discussions that led me towards this point are here - https://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php? ... 658#p31658 and here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5728&start=150

I hope to make sometime a WD 2-10 -0 and other large engines, and don't want to be limited by this potentially troublesome piece of track.

Apart from the festivities, the time since the last post has been spent in trying to think up a cheaty way of modifying the slip and that retained the offstage turnout already built. However I've failed and the only thing for it is a newly designed diamond and offstage turnout, screenshot below. I may be able to adjust the physical existing diamond rather than start afresh; and the offstage turnout will I realise be completely invisible, so not require any chairs. Half of the existing one - the switch half - can be used as it is. The offstage turnout is a couple of inches shorter too, so the layout length (before fiddleyards are added) is thereby usefully reduced.

Single slip and offstage turnout December redesign.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:11 am

Diamond Round 2. Straight this time.

I've got the benefit of Tony Wilkins' description of how to do it this time. Which presented me with a dilemma pretty well at step 1 after making the Vs. He says make the two stock rails knuckles opposite each other at the centre of the diamond to start with, while last time round I made one, made two point rails and then gauged the other knuckle off that. As mine had worked very well, and as I couldn't see how to gauge the two knuckles off each other apart from at the very centre, I thought I'd do it the same way as last time. The rail joints are all near the centre, following the Exactoscale drawing.
Slip drawing 2.PNG

slip drawing.PNG

On the slip road at the switch there isn't room for a rail joint unless it's going to be right by either the knuckle or switch. So I'm just doing the very centre to start with, and this has the advantage the point rails don't have to fit into an absolutely exact prescribed length.

The Templot template came out with a very few timber lengths that didn't look symmetrical between one half of the diamond and the other (I must have done something weird but it looks fine otherwise), but I haven't got all the timber lengths looking right.

Day one - two Vs, and the first knuckle. This time I have no jig to make the Vs which are approx a I in 7.8 angle, so it took time to find a way that worked for me, but it's really very easy. A long ruler confirmed the knuckle lines up with both Vs.
20201231_102323.jpg

A slight adjustment was needed to ensure it was in line at one end
20201231_102346.jpg

Day 2 (Jan 1st - Happy New Year anyone reading this!): adding two point rails using the ruler from the V to the knuckle and flangeway gauge. The first point rail may be placed a bit short, exaggerated in the photos, and the second placed a bit long - relative to the blunt tip mark.
20201231_110354.jpg

20201231_110412.jpg

20201231_130718.jpg

Now the opposite knuckle can be added. This is tricky and I wouldn't like to imagine doing this using glue as it needs constant readjustment till it's right (it would be easy if it were two separate rails). The block gauge has to be snug both ways.
20201231_152732.jpg

20201231_153621.jpg

This second stock rail is at the same time checked that it lines up in both directions - this is one of them.
20201231_182714.jpg

However at the very centre, having got it all to what seems right, the gauge is 0.1 wide, and I can't understand how that can not be a tad wide depending on the radius of the curve of the knuckle on the stock rail. They were bent over a 10mm drill.
20201231_184526.jpg

Then the timbers that go under the point rails were added, and a whole lot more readjustment was needed to make sure that the block gauges were not too tight yet not loose at all in each direction. It involved moving leftwards the point rail that was placed too long. That was day 2.

After all that it would be relatively easy installing the other point rails, except they're trickier to actually hold. The scriber pen has a magnetic top which is useful for holding the flangeway gauge.

As appropriate, where the rails are supported on 0.5mm shim the inside running chairs will be used cosmetically. The etches don't provide enough block chairs I think; inside running chairs look very similar but don't function in raising the rail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:36 am

Julian Roberts wrote:However at the very centre, having got it all to what seems right, the gauge is 0.1 wide, and I can't understand how that can not be a tad wide depending on the radius of the curve of the knuckle on the stock rail. They were bent over a 10mm drill.

20201231_184526.jpg

You can't measure gauge across the two knuckles like in the picture, firstly you are not measuring at 90 degrees to the track centreline and second as you mention the knuckle radius also affects it. Just measure gauge from the end of each point rail to the opposite rail at 90 degrees, ie one timber away from the centre, what happens between these positions, ie at the centre timber is just what it is, you would need a specially made gauge to test it and it would serve no useful purpose anyway.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 am

I'm with Keith, don't think that particular 0.1mm will matter. I have to say I do like the way you persist with problems till your happy with the result. In my book thats the mark of the successful modeller. Keep at it.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:55 pm

I agree with Keith. You are not actually measuring the gauge in that picture merely the distance between the two rails it should be wider that way the gauge needs to be perpendicular to the running rails
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks chaps for correcting me. I wonder how many other things I don't understand. I had another look at the photo on Tony's thread and I see that it is like this, which I think is what you are saying is how I should measure it.
Tony Wilkins turnout construction thread.PNG

However, I do understand that the distance as I measured it doesn't matter. Anyway the proof is in the eating, rails lashed up now to test, and a wagon sails through, propelled by another one, so on with the job of the rest of the slip.
20210103_164907.jpg

And thanks for the encouragement Will! I was most impressed at how you saved the Buckjumper injector detailing. Earlier on I showed my 782 loco and later I was horrified to see that the front step has broken in half. It took me hours getting that looking right, yet I didn't even notice, I don't know how long it has been broken. Sometime I'll find the rountuit to get it mended.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:33 pm

IIRC Tony said he was just using the gauge in that position for temporary support, it can't function as a gauge in that position for the reasons we already mentioned. You must have a point rail in place to measure the gauge.
Anyway it looks like yours is coming along fine.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:55 am

Julian Roberts wrote:I wonder how many other things I don't understand.

It might be quite a lot Julian :mrgreen: but in reality probably not a lot. :D

Julian Roberts wrote: Anyway the proof is in the eating

That tends to be my approach. If it works - fine, move onto the next thing. If it doesn't try and sort it out and seek help if needed. I once had a wagon which kept de-railing. I did all the checks - back to back, wobble, concentricity, track gauge to no avail. Then I notices a small lump of glue on a tread that I had missed. No idea how it got there but remove it and problem solved!

I think it called sticking with a problem and having the patience to solve it.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 pm

If it’s glue on a wheel tread it truly is sticking...

Philip

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
Julian Roberts wrote:I wonder how many other things I don't understand.

It might be quite a lot Julian :mrgreen: but in reality probably not a lot. :D

Well I keep thinking I know things, after all my irritating questions on the Forum I've really learned such a lot from you folks, all of it freely and generously given - and then realise there are still unknown unknowns, plenty of them. Some folks have got annoyed at some of my questions and have said it may put people off P4, but I think it's better to have that sort of conversation than the nightmare correspondence that has been going on just now on a couple of other threads.

Yes re the bit of glue, and my tendency is to catastrophize and think something fundamental is wrong in such a situation, so it's really worth bearing what you say in mind before going in with the soldering iron or worse.

This morning I'm wondering how this slide chair that will support the switch tips fits or rather perhaps the question is how the rail I've already put there is supported. The bolted half chair will support the rail, but the slide chair will have to have the end truncated a bit. Perhaps there are in reality shorter slide chairs. Cosmetic problem entirely of course.

20210104_122847.jpg

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:54 pm

There looks to be slightly more of an issue there than just the slide chair. The switch tips need to be to the left of the insulated joints so either your slide chair needs to move left one timber, or the insulated joint needs to move right one timber and if the latter the timber spacing needs adjusting as the joint should be in the narrow bed.
And, yes the slide chair needs shortening so it doesn't cause a short. It's more of a problem with double slips. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:50 am

Thanks Keith.

The insulation is done with rail joints towards the centre of the assembly as seen in the picture, following the Exactoscale drawing for a 1 in 8. I haven't got any plastic fishplates yet. Some fussy gapping has to be made before the next rail is fixed here - while most of the gapping has yet to be done.

20210108_114129.jpg

It might have been better to make the stock rail at the top in this picture one piece over the whole assembly. I've had some trouble with getting the rail levels even at the joints. As it is only the slip road stock rail nearest the camera is the only continuous one. Though I'm not sure yet about wiring this up electrically in the context of the whole layout, it may prove that joints are needed.

I've found that raising the check rails about 0.5mm makes them effective at this 1 in 7.8 angle and prevents wagons taking the wrong route, not that they particularly want to. The check rail height isn't noticeable by and large I think.

Still quite a lot of chairing detail to be done between rails and elsewhere, and one more blade. I find that inside bridge chairs don't fit where the drawing says they should in some locations - the cheat of using "fillers" will hardly be any different, at my level of technique at least.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:45 pm

20210225_193232.jpg

Well that's been 3 months on the single slip. There's been a lot of life getting in the way. ;) Second version, which is straight, now complete and working. 6 wheel parcel van does the honours as first test on slip road here, unnecessarily cautious speed. Wagons propel fine along all routes.

20210308_181404.jpg

Masokits etched fishplate here will be my standard way of joining track panels. Incorporating a tag for dropper wire. The other gaps will need plastic ones. I've done as much detailing as reasonably practical using the 'fillers' where I couldn't fit real chairs. Other missing chairs could be a blob of solder but I'm not going to risk disturbing the alignments for the sake of detail that I and no one else is going to notice in the context of the layout.

Insulating gaps have been filled with 24hr Araldite. It settles into a good blob when first mixed, the excess being cut off while still workable about 18 hours later. I had thought I'd use Milliput but it gets everywhere. Last step will be sanding it smooth which is why I've made the gaps centrally. Dave recommended right next to the chair would be unnoticeable but I worried that a narrow unnoticeable gap might not be totally reliably insulating longer term.

I'll have to up my speed if I'm to get a layout....

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:00 am

Looks very good Julian

Julian Roberts wrote:Insulating gaps have been filled with 24hr Araldite.

Colin Craig's advice is to create the insulation gap on the sleepers using a sanding disc. This give a sloping "cut" rather than a sharp edge and when painted is hardly noticeable. I have used the same method and it works for me.

Terry Bendall

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:08 am

Julian Roberts wrote:Well that's been 3 months on the single slip. There's been a lot of life getting in the way. ;) Second version, which is straight, now complete and working. 6 wheel parcel van does the honours as first test on slip road here, unnecessarily cautious speed. Wagons propel fine along all routes.

Well done, I'm pleased to see you've worked to get that sorted. Having had my own time trying to deal with a diamond which randomly sent the occasional wheel set the wrong way I wanted to be sure you were aware of the possibility. Best to sort it now than when you have dressed the layout and are trying to operate it in front of people.

Your Caly Dunalastair(?) runs very nicely.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for the advice Terry and Will, and the encouragement. It's Pickersgill's version of the Dunalistair. (Not sure if they were found to be any improvement on McIntosh's final version which look very similar.) This was the only vehicle that climbed one of the switch rails, going backwards without the tender. The tender hangs off the loco to add weight on the driving wheels, and with the tender there was no problem. All the same I did do a bit more filing and sanding. The only other suspect behaviour was the 782 centre wheel (more lightly loaded than the outer wheels ;)) doing a bit of a hop at one orientation of the wheels on the diamond (I don't think the B2B is suspect but haven't checked), and a lightly sprung tender centre wheel doing something similar. One reason to finish off the Compound is to test it on the trackwork, to check the behaviour of those large driving wheels in reverse.

jasp

Postby jasp » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm

The Pickersgill 4-4-0s were handsome locos, even without smoke ix wing plates.
They were long lasting and looked really good in lined BR black.
Jim P

Julian Roberts

Re: Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh - curviform crossing

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 am

jasp wrote:The Pickersgill 4-4-0s were handsome locos, even without smoke ix wing plates.
They were long lasting and looked really good in lined BR black.
Jim P

Would they have been one of Pickersgill's most successful classes Jim?

The redesign of the single slip (so it is straight not curved) necessitated redesign of the adjoining turnout that takes the layout offstage beyond the bridge (on the right as seen below). As it is offstage the criteria is nothing to do with how the real thing is, but rather, how economical on space it can be (the layout is just 8 feet long, convenient for plywood size); and whether or how much I could re-use of the turnout already made. The turnout I eventually came up shortens the layout even further, or gives a nice extra two inches or so of plain track before the turnout starts, after leaving the fiddle yard. It retains the A switch, but the closure and crossing is new. It is to my 4ft minimum radius.
Final layout March 20 2021.PNG

I thought I'd show here the artists foamboard I use to make points as shown us by Allan Goodwillie. Using this means you can put pins in to hold rails temporarily in place. I stick the Templot template onto the foamboard using a minimal amount of Prittstick, pressing lightly on the paper. It is easy to use it too heavily which makes it blob, then the template won't be exactly flat. I then cover the whole thing with what used to be called Libra-Film - a sticky clear plastic. This is tricky to roll out onto the template without any wrinkles.
20210313_163614.jpg

I wrap it right round the back of the foamboard or use parcel tape on the rear to make it waterproof, so running completed work under the tap doesn't wet the paper template..
20210313_165002.jpg

Then I glue the sleepers down with EvoStik, so they are good and solidly attached to the template, missing out the ones over the crossing nose and knuckle so I can see the exact place for the rails.

The crossing V was made in one of the wooden jigs that Chris Gough very kindly made for me as per his recent article in the Snooze. The 7.5 angle was the same as one on the tandem. Coming to put it down it didn't look quite right, it didn't seem to align properly on the template. Checking the angle on the Templot file it reminded me - this is a curviform crossing, where the curve continues right through the whole turnout. So I filed a bit of a curve into one side of the V, then after slightly bending the rails I found it matched the template just fine.
20210314_152355.jpg

So now, this is uncharted territory - how to make a curving common crossing? Actually it's hardly any different - the only difference is the flangeway gauge won't be able to lie down longways through the crossing and will have to be used upright.

The old turnout was dismantled without disturbing the switch/closure rails.
20210316_115803.jpg

Not being constrained by prototypical matters, I made the knuckle rail much longer to meet the existing switch rails. My latest technique here is to solder the far end down on a piece of 0.5mm strip so that the three knuckle marks are in exactly the right place, with the far wing rail chair fixed down in the approximate place, so the rail is the right height throughout. With the rail fixed at the far end from the crossing it stays in the right place length-ways but is fully flexible. Next using the flangeway gauge I fix the two chairs holding the wing rail.
20210314_162945.jpg

Then the same with the other wing/knuckle rail. This shot shows the rail fixed in place at the far end only, with a gauge holding the rail upright. The wing rail chair is supporting the rail at the right height but the rail is not fixed to it yet.
20210314_170245.jpg

The flangeway gauge used upright to fix the wing rail
20210314_170602.jpg

20210314_172756.jpg

With the three marks being exactly over the template the last sleeper can then be slipped in and glued down. I temporarily lock it into place with strip at each end.

The far ends can now be unsoldered. The knuckle still has enough flexibility for the tiny adjustment that may be introduced by the flangeway gauge when it is fixed using the chairs. (Whether the masters would agree with this technique is another matter...)
20210314_183749.jpg

The main thing is that the check rail will guide the wheels through the crossing smoothly. It is soldered down now.

I've used proper chairs as far as the eye might possibly see and the two turnouts are joined up using bits of 0.5 strip to support the rails.
20210316_220337.jpg

Now the curving stock rail is laid. This 48" curve will be the tightest bend on the layout and I don't want any derailments here under the bridge. I've used the maximum gauge widening tool all the way through the turnout including the crossing.
20210317_121040.jpg

20210317_121103.jpg

Julian Roberts

Re: E16 for Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:28 pm

This curved turnout is massive.
20210318_205249.jpg

The radius is vast, so I'm assuming/pretending the planing is straight. I've followed the instructions for making the stockgauge on the Templot site.
20210329_171102.jpg

Then done this to get it straight, which was the procedure on the first side too.
20210329_172041.jpg

I've bought E blades, primarily to get the stockrail face side as produced by (I assume) a machine - it looks perfectly flat to me mating with the stockrail like this
20210330_165602.jpg

Martin Wynne wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:Follow the prototype, make your switch so it sits fully against the stock rail naturally without any forcing, assemble it like that. Then the tie bars pull it away to open it rather than pushing to close it.

The way flexible switches work is that the switch blades (points) are sprung against each other, with the stretcher bar(s) in tension.

This means that as the force needed to pull the one blade away from the stock rail gradually increases, the force needed to hold the other one away from the stock rail gradually reduces. The two forces cancel out, and the result is that the points can be moved across with very little additional force needed from the rodding. Much less than opening a single switch blade would need.

Martin.

This is a revelation to me as I'm not fully satisfied I've worked out how to get the switchrail really snug against the stockrail all the way along the planing - which is much more of an issue here than with B blades so far used.

Now I've got to figure out how to flex these rails so that the blades are naturally sprung against the stockrail when fixed down. As they come there's a slight bow in the planing from (I assume) the effect of the machining. I've been thinking I'll use three stretcher bars...
Last edited by Julian Roberts on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi Julian.
Yes, E-16s are big. I made a pair of E-16 crossovers on a 5' radius curve for Brimsdown, one of which is now surplus to requirements due to a change of plan. There is definitely a knack in getting long switch blades to sit snugly against the stock rail all the way along. They should not really be sprung against the stock rail when closed merely being in contact with it. If there is additional outward force this needs to be overcome to move the blade and it may not move clear of the flange when fully open. They need to be gently coaxed into shape between the first two fingers and thumb, inside of the intended curving toward the thumb. If you overdo it then turn the rail over and go the other way. Just remember to check for burrs first. Frequently checking the blade against the stock rail and making small adjustments where needed is key.

Prototype E switches have 3 stretcher bars.
Regards
Tony.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:Prototype E switches have 3 stretcher bars.

And two of them will have drive rods to make sure the blades stay in line when moved.
However with the relatively higher stiffness of model blades you can probably manage with one driv, synching two drives would be difficult.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

I remember many years ago, back in the Ken York days and well pre-templot, helping him with the design of some long turnouts for the ends of his fiddle yard. We needed six turnouts off the inside of a 4' curve and it worked out that F-16s were the only way to do it. I designed and built them but operating them was fun.
I used three drive rods linked together by a length of Bullhead rail on its side (for rigidity) and driven from the center. Not very prototypical but once adjusted they worked reliably for several years.
Regards
Tony.

Julian Roberts

Re: Masokits etched chairs turnout construction for Kyle of Lochalsh - E16 switchrail joints

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you Tony and Keith for your help there.

I've got a bit bogged down setting up the stockrails. Previously I showed setting up the stockgauge. However I found that the rail used for the switches I've bought is slightly wider. Result undergauge stockgauge. So I had to re-do it and thought while I was about it to play safe and widen it all 0.1mm. That was fine but I found the rail was leaning outwards - it must have widened 0.1 at the top but not at the foot. I reckoned that a stockrail leaning outwards was likely to give problems for the switchrail to properly close against it.

Meanwhile I started to scratch my head regarding the rail joints. They are marked on the Templot template to be between the 12th and 13th, 13th and 14th sleepers from the blade tips respectively switch rail and stock rail. But there isn't enough space between the rails for bridge chairs - block chairs will have to do. Just writing to see if this is correct. As I'm surprised that the rail joint is at the same distance from the tip as shorter C and D switches. Just a cosmetic issue really as I won't actually break the switch rails, there'll be a non-functional fishplate. I realise there may not be a "right" answer

Return to “Track and Turnouts”