Kyle of Lochalsh tandem turnout length and other questions

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
bécasse

Re: Tandem turnout length question

Postby bécasse » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 am

It certainly looks to me as if the track alignment was changed when the larger turntable was fitted. The "modern" photos are just too far adrift from the 25" OS map for that not to be the case.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks all.

bécasse wrote:It certainly looks to me as if the track alignment was changed when the larger turntable was fitted. The "modern" photos are just too far adrift from the 25" OS map for that not to be the case.

Really David? - that's very interesting but I can't tell how you can see that. I would have thought the water tank didn't change so re-alignment would be limited there, and as Dave says the turntable may have kept its centre.

Interesting reading everyone's posts make interlacing less problematic. I didn't know you could get predrilled ply sleepers. Yes I thought interlaced points were a particular formation - though the Templot Companion A-Z doesn't have them.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:40 pm

There is a copy of the 40ft to 1inch playoff Kyle station and extending to include the loco yard in Peter Tatlow's The Dingwall & Skye Railway book both in, I think, 1907 and post-war. They might help to clear up the query.

Portchchullin Tatty might also be able to assist if he spots that this topic relates to Kyle of Lochalsh shed...

Jeremy

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes I have the book Jeremy. Here is a photo of the tandem which gives more detail and does suggest a slight amount more space for the tandem. The diagram is printed so small in the book I hadn't realised it would reveal as much as it does when blown up like this. And of the script re the new turntable that was an extra 10 foot diameter. Good point re Mark: changing thread title again. Thanks for these suggestions which shed new light on my original question.

20200620_153913-1.jpg

20200620_154553-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:
bécasse wrote:It certainly looks to me as if the track alignment was changed when the larger turntable was fitted. The "modern" photos are just too far adrift from the 25" OS map for that not to be the case.

Really David? - that's very interesting but I can't tell how you can see that. I would have thought the water tank didn't change so re-alignment would be limited there, and as Dave says the turntable may have kept its centre.

Compare the photo and the reorientated plan:
KyleofLochalshTTapproach.jpg

KyleofLochalshTTapproachPlan.jpg

The plan shows the line as being straight from the turntable to the crossing of the first part of the tandem turnout (which I reckon would be pretty much a standard RH A7 turnout if it weren't part of a tandem turnout), then, looking from the TT, the "main" line starts to bear left and the crossing (but not the blades, which lie prior to the crossing of the first part of the tandem turnout and thus in the straight section) of the second part of the tandem point lies within this curved section of track (although it is probably actually straight through the crossing itself) thus increasing the angle and bringing the crossing closer to the blades than they would otherwise be. (In modeller's jargon, this second part of the tandem point is thus a Y-point.)

However the photo appears to show something different even though the photo may be create illusions as the result of a long focal length lens being used. Here the principal part of the curve appears to lie between the point blades of the first part of the tandem point and its crossing.

I would be very surprised if both the 1:2.500 OS map and the 1:480 rating plan were wrong in what they appear to depict, suggesting that that was the alignment in HR days, but as the photo (LMS period?) shows something different, changes must have been made - and at the time of the enlargement of the turntable would seem the most logical suggestion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Re: Kyle of Lochalsh tandem turnout length and other questions

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 am

Thank you for those thoughts David. At least I won't have to chisel rocks to make any track adjustments!

And very many thanks Martin for redesigning the tandem for me. :)

Return to “Track and Turnouts”