Single and Double Slip Operation

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Proton

Single and Double Slip Operation

Postby Proton » Mon May 11, 2020 12:02 am

Hello,

I am connecting up several single and double slips and have a few questions please. I have checked through the Scalefour Digest sheets which are helpful electrically, but I still have a few points for clarification.

For single slips, would the blade sets have been operated independently or together? Logically, I would think they would have been operated together ,i.e. both set to the straight path or both set curved, but the Digest sheets indicate separate operation, leading to a much simple electrical connection for the model. The first approach only requires one motor, whereas the second approach requires two motors.

For double slips, I can see that all four blades at each end are operated together, and so this would necessarily require independent operation. Is this correct?

Any advices please, especially w.r.t. prototype operation.

John

Martin Wynne

Re: Single and Double Slip Operation

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon May 11, 2020 2:13 am

Hi John,

The normal operation is that all the blades at one end move together. In the process the polarity of the V-crossing at the opposite end is switched over.

And separately the same again at the other end. This applies to single slips and double slips.

This is also the most usual prototype arrangement, although some cases are different.

In the case of a model double slip, this also makes it easier to provide central clearance for the open blade tips, because only one of them is open at any given time. If the blades were to move independently, both could be open at the same time, requiring extra clearance between them, and risking electrical short-circuits if they touch.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 am

Single slips almost always have the two ends connected to different levers, in most layouts at least one of the ends will form part of a crossover. In model form it is best to do the same as if it can be set as a diamond crossing then you have wiring problems as you suggest.
If you provide a sketch of your layout showing how the slip fits in we can suggest appropriate numbering and normal/reverse settings.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon May 11, 2020 10:34 am

Here's a 20-year-old article of mine which is still on the server: http://templot.com/info/slips.htm

Explaining the working of single slip as part of a slip crossover:

Sorry it's so old, it could do with tidying up for modern browsers.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Proton

Postby Proton » Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 am

Thank you very much for the replies Martin and Keith, as you say it really simplifies the wiring, and I would prefer to follow prototype operation if possible.

I will draw up a sketch of the arrangement: this will take some time as this is a major omission on my part, not having a track plan! Any help on what s/w to use might assist if it's simple to use!

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:18 am

If you want to have a nice plan drawn with software then Templot, but for this purpose pencil and paper is much quicker if you have a scanner. Without a scanner a sketch using 'Paint' will also do.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks Keith, pen and paper will be my approach.

John

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:If you want to have a nice plan drawn with software then Templot, but for this purpose pencil and paper is much quicker if you have a scanner. Without a scanner a sketch using 'Paint' will also do.

Suggest using coloured pencils - at least three, one for each "+ve and -ve" and one for the switched crossings. Six would be better if there are two circuits involved. I found this very useful when working out the switching for a scissors crossover with one switch replaced by a double slip.
Not sure I should post this here as it is for a N gauge layout, but the concepts are the same. I complicated it by having a baseboard joint going through the middle of the scissors!
scissors0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

CeeJay60

Postby CeeJay60 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:09 pm

I complicated it by having a baseboard joint going through the middle of the scissors!

LOL - I thought I was the only one mad enough to have a baseboard joint through the end of a scissors point and double slip! :lol:
Cheers,
Colin

I promise I'll get some of it right some of the time!

Return to “Track and Turnouts”