Cosmetic Point Motors

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Proton

Cosmetic Point Motors

Postby Proton » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Hello,

Colin Craig used to supply various cosmetic point motors and other detailing bits, but he has stopped trading. Does anyone know of alternate suppliers please?

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Cosmetic Point Motors

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Depends on period, the only one I know is the Peco product which is an AEI-GS motor appropriate from the mid '60s to recent times. They went in with the 'Modernisation Plan' resignalling schemes.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 am

Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 am

At the start of the modernisation plan the available electric point motors were significantly dearer than EP motors. However EP motors had the overhead cost of a compressed air plant and distribution piping. Consequently EP motors were only cost effective when there were several hundred in a small area. Places like Manchester Picc, Birmingham New St, Euston. Then BR put out a spec for new electric motor designs resulting in the AEI-GS HW as the Peco version and the Westinghouse Style 63. AFAIK there were no more significant installations of EP after those new machines came out in the mid 60s as the EP was always dearer. NB. It took LUL a lot longer to make the change as they had the air system all in place, their change to electric motors started with the Central line resignalling.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:20 am

Thank you both for the very detailed replies. This is for a terminus approach and throat, so although not even one hundred, quite a few, and the EP version from DCC concepts looks like a good solution

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:36 am

The EP motors need valves and piping. Jim has done it on his BNS model so look up his BNS topic on here for details.

Incidentally here's the link to the Peco one, [urlhttps://peco-uk.com/products/dummy-point-motor-2[/url] It is an accurate model of an HW machine and looks much better on scale track! Pity no one has made the earlier machines, I have some whitmetal ones somewhere but they are nothing like any real point machine I ever saw.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:15 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:The EP motors need valves and piping. Jim has done it on his BNS model so look up his BNS topic on here for details.

Incidentally here's the link to the Peco one, https://peco-uk.com/products/dummy-point-motor-2 It is an accurate model of an HW machine and looks much better on scale track! Pity no one has made the earlier machines, I have some whitmetal ones somewhere but they are nothing like any real point machine I ever saw.

The link you gave is for the N gauge one ;)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:46 am

Ok fixed, they all look the same, as they should. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:48 pm

The Peco unit looks pretty good. My infrastructure is late 60s early 70s, but not really trying to be historically correct in point motor details. However, the Peco unit looks like good value at 2.85 GBP for 6; I need 60.

Thank you all!

John

Return to “Track and Turnouts”